Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:14 PM   #1

:? I just received my new Canon EOS 30d camera with a Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG Macros lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I charged the battery fully before using it. I can put the battery in and go through the menu change settings, etc. However, when I press down on the shoot button half way the camera turns off. The only way I can get it back on is by pulling the battery out and putting it back in. On a few settings I have been able to get a couple of pictures taken. This is with out a CF card. I have the setting for allow with out CF turned on.

Is my camera a lemon????? or does the Sigma lens not work very well with this camera???? Did I just not realize to do something?????

Help me ASAP - this is maddening
alaskacomputing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:04 PM   #2
VP

I have not experienced that particular problem with my 30D, so can only guess it to be a battery problem. UnlessitCOULD BE an electronic malfunction when shutter button is depressed halfway.

Does the battery show to be fully charged on the camerabattery meter? Could be a defective battery as I know the camera will turn off with a low enough battery.

Also double check tomake sure the battery compartment cover and CF cover are securely closed (even though you do not have a CF card installed)

The Sigma lens should not have anything to do with that problem.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3

I have further found with this to be that if I press the manual flash button it shuts the system down. If I don't have it set by the turn knob to any of the preset settings it works fine. If I go to the menu and set it to a preset setting it still works fine. It is only if I choose portrait, landscape, etc. from the knob does it shut the system down and of course what I mentioned earlier the flash.

The battery is fully charged I even put it back in the charger today and let it charge again. I have verified it to show fully charged.

Here is a stupid question: I can set the camera to focus but I can't zoom in at something. Where do you do this at. I haven't had a digital SLR until now. Any advice will be appreciated. I am going to go get some memory for it right now.
alaskacomputing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:19 AM   #4
VP

Might be best to contact the place you bought it and get it replaced if it is within the return period.

The zoomlens you have is probably a twist zoom and has to be turned by hand to achieve zoom.....turn the section of the lens itself where it has the focal lengths marked.The camera does not have a zoom switch or button.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:43 AM   #5

$1400 for a camera and ya have to twist the zoom with your HAND!?

I'am sending mine back straight away!
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:43 PM   #6

Just a question. Have you experienced the problems when using a Canon Lens?
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:06 AM   #7
NHL

jcepp wrote:
Quote:
:lol: :-) :G !!!

Again Minolta was quite innovative and ahead of its time here - They had a line of Xi SLR lenses which have motorized zoom in them:
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/reviews/max7xi.htm
"The camera offers many more features, many of these I have never utilized. One of them is the auto-zoom function and image lock in combination with Minolta xi-lenses"

-> One of the coolest feature of theses motorized lenses are the constant aspect ratio i.e. the camera kept the relative subject size with the auto-zoom as the subject move away (or closer to) the camera

-> The other trick they had with theses motorized zoom was to pan at the WA setting to survey a wider view, but when the shutter release was pressed partway the lens would zoom-in to a preset position for capturing a particular action instead
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
jcepp wrote:
Quote:
:lol: :-) :G !!!

Again Minolta was quite innovative and ahead of its time here - They had a line of Xi SLR lenses which have motorized zoom in them:
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/reviews/max7xi.htm
I have one of those cameras. It is in a box sinceI moved but I really enjoyed those features on my Minolta film camera.:-)

I don't know why such an innovative company got out of the market...
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:37 AM   #9
NHL

I have their 9 series which is probably the fastest camera bare none... in its time :-)

The AF sensors are the largest, none of this multi-point dots business, and the only company that can produce an autofocus mirror lens @ f/8!

-> They just don't know how to sell (i.e. marketing) How many 5D/7D ads have you seen?
Sony A100 by comparison is on the front pages of numerous magazines even before the camera is out! :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:45 AM   #10

($1400 for a camera and ya have to twist the zoom with your HAND!?

I'am sending mine back straight away!)

LOL! I have to say that im speechless! I think this is best newbie post ever!! I think you should send your 30D back and change it to normal diigicam
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote