Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1

I was wondering if drawing with light (dark room, a light, 5-20sec shutter speed) will hurt/damage your CCD if you do it too much. If I recall, a CCD is made up of a whole bunch of light-sensitive capacitors and doing such shots perhaps could harm them or create hot/stuck/dead pixels.

This is just something I was thinking about. Anyone got facts?

fireserphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:24 AM   #2

You can take pictures of the sun fine (I have at least with no damage- and I'm talking about high noon sun, not the sunrise/sunset)... I don't really see light drawing doing any harm.

Canon SLRs are made with CMOS sensors, which may (or may not, I dont know about this) react differently than CCDs.

cool picture, btw
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:25 PM   #3

Is having a CMOS better than a CCD?
fireserphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:21 AM   #4

CMOS generally performs better when it comes to ISO performance

To put it simply, CCDs transfer data from the light sensors in batches, while CMOS tranfers data from sensors individually. The formal method tends to produce more heat, so you get more noise.

CMOS is also very energy efficient. Maybe they use a nice even amount of p and n type transistors?

Back in the "old" day of CMOS technology, their major disadvantage was image quality. But now they are on par with CCDs, so I don't really see much of disadvantage for them (maybe more expensive than CCDs?)
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:08 AM   #5
NHL

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
To put it simply, CCDs transfer data from the light sensors in batches, while CMOS tranfers data from sensors individually. The formal method tends to produce more heat, so you get more noise.
... Because of this individuality CMOS also have another issue: the fill-factor to contend with:

-> The entire CCD area is sensitive to light, but with CMOS the portion that process the data is inert to light - hence only part of the CMOS area is sensitive to light which is then overcome by micro-lenses
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
You can take pictures of the sun fine (I have at least with no damage- and I'm talking about high noon sun, not the sunrise/sunset)... I don't really see light drawing doing any harm.

Canon SLRs are made with CMOS sensors, which may (or may not, I dont know about this) react differently than CCDs.

cool picture, btw
Kids, don't look at the sun with your SLR view finder... mmmmk?
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:13 PM   #7
NHL

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
Kids, don't look at the sun with your SLR view finder... mmmmk?
You mean like this??? :-)

or like this?

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote