Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:36 PM   #1

Again I am desperate about the bad focus of my 350 XT Rebel camera.

About 1 in 8 pictures I take is out of focus - no matter the distance to subject or focal lenght, manual or autofocusor any other setting or parameter!

This night I was very hapy to hear the sound of a landing aircraft, I switched on the camera, I adjusted the zoom to maximum (3x - 55mm on my 18-55 kit lens), I pointed to aircraft, I pressed the button, only one picture I had time to take and hurray I think I got a picture for weekly challenge!

No way - again an out of focus picture. The shot I attach shows that the point of focus is just on the aircraft which is completely blured! Another point of focus is on a wall whichis also blured!!

The picture is a crop of the Zoom BrowserEX window - thepicture info can be seenin the corner.

I have problems on close-ups in 50% of the pictures I take but is not good when it happens to distant subjects.

Is it "normal" or my kit lens has a mechanical problem? :?:angry:
Attached Images

vidiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:58 AM   #2

you do not have a camera problem, but a shutter speed issue....you are using a low shutter speed from my*experience,55mmm x 1.6 crop factor - 88 therefore 1/88 or closest value....1/125....fpr handheld shooting, i also noticed that digital is more sensitive to movement than film, so i usually go 1 more stop.....1/250.....you also are photographing a plane which is traveling 300 mph...every think that it would only be sharp at 1/2000 ??try testing with a tripod, to see if it is your camera, i doubt it, this looks normal to me....
domphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:24 AM   #3

The horizontal lines on the plane are much sharper than the vertical. Look at the diffference between the bottom of the plane and the front. The plane is in focus. It is just moving much too fast to be shot at 1/160s.
You are using an auto mode for this shot. The camera has selected two points for autofocus and decided you need f9 to get both in focus and this has given you a slow shutter time. It doesn't know you just want the plane and it also doesn't know the plane is moving. Sport mode would do better if you don't know enough about photography to use one of the manual modes.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:47 AM   #4

Thank you for your sugestions.

Some of them I allready tested - tripod, "wired" remote controll and "sports" mode.
Results are a little bit better.
I think is right to say that the DSLR cameras are much sensitive regarding shuter speed - surprising behavior for me (sometime I even think the sensivity it selects is lower than it realy is; comparing to Fuji S5000, I used before 350D, seems that Canon is a bit too optimistic - S5000 sets a shorter time to catch the same "scene" when ISO is identical setted).
Will be a long time to learn to use properly 350D...

Thank you again!
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:58 PM   #5

I had problems with focus on servo mode and it seamed to help when I went to

one-shot. Maybe that would help. I shoot a 20D. Most of my problem was shooting the picture before the camera got a good locked in focus.

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:02 PM   #6

RP33,

I tested all the setings but none seems to be far better than the others.

In "P" mode I allways use "one shot" and I am quite sure that my camera doesn't

allow to take the picture if didn'tfocus.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2006, 2:25 PM   #7

This gets above my knowledge. I will be watching to see if any answers show up.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:59 PM   #8
NHL

vidiac wrote:
Quote:
... In "P" mode I allways use "one shot" and I am quite sure that my camera doesn't

allow to take the picture if didn'tfocus.
You might want to send your camera in or...

do one of this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15258133

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:06 PM   #9

NHL,

I can't send my camera to repair because nobody can fix it in my country (as I know for now) and the procedure in the link you sent to me is very complicated, and - to be honest-I don't see a such great difference between "before" and "after" pictures which show the result of this procedure.
Yesterday I tested a 75-300EF 4-5,6 Canon lens and I started to apreciate more my kit lens....:!::!:
Thank you!
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:08 PM   #10

Is this the correct way to focus?
Attached Images

Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote