Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1

I'm looking for a film camera body to go along with a EOS 30D for a film photography class. Which Canon film camera body offers the best bang for the buck. I would like to use my current lenses (all non EF-S) and flash (580EX). Thank you
tyinarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:15 AM   #2

Well, there aren't that many to choose from anymore. I would say that the Elan 7 ranks up there with the 30D with the EOS 3 being one step above that. YOu could always go the Rebel route, but I don't know if you'd be happy.

Also, if you are taking a film class, do you plan on shooting film when the class is over? If not, I wouldn't spend too much on a film camera and you could probably get something used at a great price, like the Elan II.

One last thing, if this is a beginning class, you could also use a manual camera without autofocus with no program mode. I know a lot of people that learned on teh Pentax k1000 and you could pick that up with a lens for nex tto nothing.

Just my 2 cents, if it's even worth that.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3

The class catalog states "adjustable 35mm camera required".
tyinarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:59 PM   #4

Any of the cameras I spoke of are all adjustable cameras and should meet your needs and the class requirements.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:33 AM   #5

I just went through the exact same thing. I purchased an Elan 7NE which is a great film cameram with the eye focus system. The camera focuses on which ever focus point you are looking at in the view finder. I also own both a Canon 30D and Canon 300D.

I must say though after shooting Digital for several years I absolutely hated taking a film class. It was an interesting expience at first becau seI had never developed my own film, but when I got serious I hated it.

Why,

one - it took way too long to develope the plus x and tri-x film, load on reels, develope,wash, dry, cut only to now spend more time using light table to figure out which ones came out decent.

two - after all of that was done going through a whole nother long chemical process of printing using lenses, filters, enlargers and yet another developing, washing, and drying process.

three - Dodging and burning using enlarge method to me was a joke after using Photshop

four - If you wanted to make multiple copies, you have to go through steps two and three all over again and are not guaranteed to get the exact same results every time.

Only to get an end result that did not (to me) look as good as what my Digital Rebal not to mentiion my 30D does on either my Canon PIXIMA 6600D or my Olympus P440 Dye-sub printer.Both of which along with Photshop CS 2 do this process in 1/8 the time...

By the way, if you want to purchase a film camer I will sell you my very seldom ever used Elan 7NE for $200.00 :-)
Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:56 AM   #6

Don't get me wrong though I did learn one potential down fall of Digital. Unless you ahve a 30D or camera with Picture Styles all your pictuers will basically look the same. In a film camerayou can change to different types of films and get dramatically differnt looks with the same camera.

However, withphotoshop plugginsyou can shoot digital and make it look like many different types of films.

My favorite is Fuji Neopan 100 black and white filmwith no grain... For Color I look the look of Fuji Astia 400 and Ilford Films.

This conversion from a color photo took less the10 minutes to convert to black and white, select bWfilm type preference, adjust levels, burn in legs and face of two light skinned girls too close too flash, fix backdrop on right side of picture, add white border, print and then resize for web..

I Love digital and film just hate film processing. :-) Call me usefilmnot.com
Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote