Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:37 AM   #1

I was shooting vertical headshots with Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX. I wanted to shoot an horizontial shot, but when I pressed the button autofocused, received focus confimaton clicked all the way nothing happened. I figured maybe batteries had died, I changed batteries put in blank compact flash and tried again still nothing. However, when I put camera vertical and clicked the other button on BG-E2 grip camera was fast as always.

I verifies lens was mounted completely still the same thing. when I got how I changed lenses, verified problem existed with my Tamron 28-75 and Canon 18-55 Kit lens. The next day shuuter button seemed to work, however I noticed whenever I switch from veritical button to horizonital button, the horizontial button (on camera would stop working). I have replace BG-E2 and things seem better, but occasionally it still happens. Any Ideas on this one? Is it something I may be doing or is camnera broken?

MinutePhotos
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 4:09 AM   #2

It sounds like a bad camera. I bought a 5D and when I got it, the menu dial didn't work and it had to be returned.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:07 AM   #3

I loaned my BG-E2 grip to my brother-in-law...so I can't check it right now, but doesn't the grip have an on/off button that will allow you to turn on/off the shutter button on the grip and/or button on the body? I can't remember exactly.

Try shooting w/o the grip and see if you can duplicate the problem.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:51 AM   #4

I keep thinking it is something really simple like this. The BG-E2 does have a on off switch but only for the vertical grip and does not turn off the button on the body. After replacing the BG-E2 it hasn't completely stopped working again, but sometimes I have to hit the button twice to get it to trigger.

I am heading off to a shoot at Lake Berryessa, CA when I get back (and can spare not having camera) I will send it to Canon for repair. Will take 4 -6 weeks to get it back (Ouch!!).
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote