Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:17 AM   #1

I have a Canon Rebel XT. Shooting the city at night what seetings should I try and mode also for street shooting. I am getting better with manual mode. I never shot at night, this will be the first, so can someone please give me some good direction. I have all the equipment for night shooting. I am good to go in this area.:?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:50 AM   #2

Use a tripod and ISO100 and any of P, Av or Tv will give the correct exposure.
If no tripod, use flash.
If you can't use flash then widest aperture and ISO 1600 but you won't get good results unless the subject is well lit.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3
NHL

I agree using a tripod is a must for nightshots - forget about IS for second(s) shots

Again I would use Manual mode and trust the old -2..-1..v..+1..+2 EV scale for this. IMO if you let the camera do the automatic exposure it will usually overexpose because everything is predominantly black @ night so you'll need to dial-in some (-) exposure compensation anyway...
-> and double check the histogram!

A night picture from Ceasar's: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

and the Bellagio: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4

That's also a night shot (Canon 10D)

Two hours after midnight ... only moonlight !

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:10 PM   #5

Here are my first attempts at night shots. I went out over the weekend and took shots of Edmonton at around 2:00am

I definitely third the motion that a tripod is ESSENTIAL. Over more than a second of exposure will result in loss of sharpness. I have a fairly inexpensive Tpod, and I'd recommend getting a better one. Mine had quite a bit of wobble in the head which resulted in skewed shots due to the weight of the 20D.

The other thing that I found would have been a great time saver, is a remote release. Having something that I could press to trigger off the shutter WITHOUT touching the camera would have been a huge win. What I ended up doing is to set the timer, but waiting 10 seconds shot after shot was very inconvenient. With anything more than a second or so of exposure, pressing the trigger button would cuase the camera to wobble ever to slightly when you hit it. This again would cause blur.

Anyhoo, my 2 cents as a rank amateur.

klutzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:10 PM   #6

What should you have your settings on to take pictures so they look like they are taken at night and not during the day like the pic above?
Ladythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:48 PM   #7

You can see the rest of my gallery here.

http://www.klutzoplex.com/gallery2/m...&g2_page=1

The earlier ones you can tell, since they were taken around 2:00am.. then towards 4:00am the predawn started to throw some light on the issue.

Having shorter exposures, around 1-3 sex should do it. Most of these were around 5-10 sex I believe.
klutzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:42 AM   #8

Ladythump wrote:
Quote:
What should you have your settings on to take pictures so they look like they are taken at night and not during the day like the pic above?
I hate to break this to you but there are no magic settings for various photography situations. Besides the basic advice of using a tripod and release cable, you need to set the exposure time to a value that achieves the result you are looking for. THis is the beauty of digital. Set up your camera and tripod, put the camera in manual mode, select an aperture value for DOF (when in doubt simply use f11) and take several shots varying the shutter time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:49 AM   #9
NHL

A digital camera with an EVF is probably the easiest to take picture @ night...

-> With the Electronic View Finder - what you see is exactly what you get on the memory card when the camera is on manual - just adjust the shutter speed or aperture until the desired effect can be seen in the EVF... With a dSLR there's no way around it but checking the resulting histogram

From a Minolta D7 (1s @ f/4) which sports a Live histogram in the viewfinder:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:57 PM   #10

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I agree using a tripod is a must for nightshots - forget about IS for second(s) shots

Again I would use Manual mode and trust the old -2..-1..v..+1..+2 EV scale for this. IMO if you let the camera do the automatic exposure it will usually overexpose because everything is predominantly black @ night so you'll need to dial-in some (-) exposure compensation anyway...
-> and double check the histogram!

A night picture from Ceasar's: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

and the Bellagio: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8
Good advice and great pictures! Is the histogram for night shots any different than day shots? What I am trying to figure out is would it need to be analyzed differently because it is for the night shot?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote