Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1

Is there a way to use 2 AA's that can fit in one BP511 format battery?

Is there a cheap work around to get extra power rather than buying a battery grip?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

Why would you wnat to use 2 AA instead of your BP-511? If cost is a factor but cheap third party batteries, like from sterlingtek. They much better than canon and last longer.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

First of all I have many rechargable AAs with me. And don't have budget to buy grip this year. For time being I need a solution.

But can I charge this sterlingtek batteries in the Canon charger. Or should I buy a new charger for sterlingtek batteries?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4

Go to tigerdirect.com and buy the Eveready Energizer BP-511 equvalent...In fact its better than the Canon because it is 1400 mamps and you can charge it in your canon charger...$28.99....:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:55 PM   #5

I bought 4 BP-511A generic 1600mah batteries in ebay for less than $25 shipped.

This is the seller where I got mine from...looks like he's now selling 1800mah batteries for the same price:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...earch&fgtp=

The batteries work just fine on my 30D, charges fine on the Canon charger as well as generic charger.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:11 AM   #6

Can someone confirm me that it is okay to user these non-Canon batteries to charge in canon charger that came with canon 30D?

as the mAH differs like 1500, 1800 etc. Please help!!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:17 AM   #7

I can't speak for the 1800mah batteries, since when I got the batteries from this seller, he was still selling the older 1600mah batteries. The 1600mah batts work fine on my 30D's charger and generic charger.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:30 AM   #8

The canon 30D charger charges my old 10D 1100mA fine along with the canon knock offs I bought from sterlingtek. The sterlingtek ones last much longer than canon's originals and cost much less. You can buy 2 BP511 equivalents rated at 1800mA for under $25. Why bother with AAs.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:40 PM   #9

I get about 700 shots from my 20D using a Canon battery using the flash about 30% of the time. I bought another Canon battery from Amozon.com for $30.00 and I have never been without power. I read some reviews about the generic batteries. They will work fine with your camera and charger however the mold to make the batteries is just a little smaller then the original Canon and the battery tends to move around in the camera body and sometimes breaks the connection and you will lose power when you need it most. When this happens you have to remove the battery and reinsert it for the camera to work again. IMO if you own a Canon use Canon products. Everyone I know that uses third party equipment with there camera have problems.
joelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:46 PM   #10

I've never had any problems with my 20D and now my 30D with any batteries...be it Canon brand or generics. My brother in laws also have a 300D, an XT, and 20D...no problems with any brand batteries either.