Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:11 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am a film guy and want to buy a dslr. I had wanted to buy the Nikon D200 but after speaking to some of the stores, they have suggested that I look at the 30D. I read reviews about noise over ISO 400 on the Nikon even though I am not sure I would shoot that high. I never shoot over 200 ASA film. I am not sure of they both equate the same since I am new to this. My heart is saying Nikon but my head is saying canon. I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks- Ken
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:04 AM   #2

Ken,

While most of the posters here on the Canon board are Canon owners. However, we're pretty open to suggesting other brands. In fact now that the D80 isout, you actually have yet another reason to consider getting a Nikon. If you posted this on the Nikon board, you will definitely get a lot strongerpushfor going with Nikon. You said you were a film guy. What type of camera are you using for film? My suggestion is to go with the same dSLR brand to cut down on lens cost.

I have the Canon 20D/5D and a number of Canon lenses.I like Canon;lately I've thought seriouslyabout buying one of the low-endanti shake camera models by Pentax or Minolta for use as a vacation/walk aroundcamera.

Why Canon? Great combination of inovation and performance. When the D30 came out, their CMOS was one of the lowest noise chips on the market. Ifeel that the fact they have a near complete vertical integration of photo productsis a major advantage. I can literally equip my photo studio with all Canon products, all the way from capturethrough output. I.E., sensor chip, in camera processor, camera body, lens, and large formatprinter. I think this means Canon can decide to go in a direction and actually get to a specific goal sooner. Until recently Nikon had problems getting new products out as fast as Canon. Even Steve, the owner of this site posted a rant toNikon asking them to speed up the replacement of the D100. I had my sights set on the D100, but Canon came out with the better performing 10D at a $400.00 lower pricebefore I couldbuy the D100. I brought the 10D and never looked back. I'm stuck now because I have a number of Canon lenses and my knowledge ofCanon's digital workflow.

This should be an exciting time for you. Good luck!

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:50 AM   #3
NHL

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
I have the Canon 20D/5D and a number of Canon lenses.I like Canon;lately I've thought seriouslyabout buying one of the low-endanti shake camera models by Pentax or Minolta for use as a vacation/walk aroundcamera.
This should be an exciting time for you. Good luck!
Ditto for me - I have the 10D and 1D mrkII but also considering a Sony (as compared to the D200 here): http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page24.asp

It depends on what you shoot, but combined with a Bigma 50-500 EX lens, a dSLR with built-in IS is a great combination (this combo cost not much more than a D200 alone ~ $300 top) for strolling into nature!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:42 PM   #4

I recently made the switch from film and a point and shoot digital to the 30d. I could not be happier.

And don't think you won't shoot higher ISO. I captured my daughter's indoor volleyball at higher ISO's w/o flash and got a crisp picture of her while the ball was nicely blurred. There really is no noise problem or the graininess that you get with higher iso film.

I took several shots at low iso w/tripod in the cal. redwoods. But during a hike with the kids, I could dial up the iso and shoot hand held and achieve reasonable results. I certainly don't notice any noise problem, but then I am definately not a pro.

Enjoy your D-SLR whatever flavor.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:16 PM   #5

I started out with Nikon D70, I really enjoyed it for a year, then after I bought Canon 20D for my son, after a few months - I sold my D70 and now a happy owner of 30D. A family "re-union" indeed :-)
Trust me, I owned the Nikon F-series film cameras for more than 20 yrs, but when it come to digital, Canon has changed my heart. I will play with this 30D for a year or so, until the 5D price came down to $1K range.

QV
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote