Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:58 PM   #1

Does the exposure compensation feature on the Canon DSLR act the same as a Neutral Density filter?
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:16 PM   #2
NHL

No - You only use and ND filter when a camera can't cope with the intensity of the light
(If you can do it with camera alone then why would you need the filter in the 1st place?)

For example the need of a slower shutter speed in bright sunshine (but the ISO can't be set any lower)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:34 PM   #3

I've used ND filters in the past when I needed a long exposure but couldn't stop down the lens enough to avoid an overexposed shot.

I was hoping against hope that the exposure compensation feature could do this for me. Sorta a built in ND filter.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:39 PM   #4
NHL

Laggard wrote:
Quote:
I've used ND filters in the past when I needed a long exposure but couldn't stop down the lens enough to avoid an overexposed shot.
It works the same on the dSLR... For example when you need an ISO of 25, but the slowest the camera can go is 100

The exposure compensation is for overcoming the camera's metering, and was present on older film camera too...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote