Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1

For those of you that are currently using the "battery grip"...does it accept 2 battery packs or does it just allow you to use 6 AA batteries? Assuming it does accept 2 proprietary battery packs roughly how many shots have you been getting per charge? Canon Canada's website says using 1 battery pack...1100 shots at a temperature of 20C. So did you get anywhere near 2200 shots with 2 battery packs in the grip? On average.

Thanks!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2

I use the grip on my 30D, It holds 2 standard BP511 batteries, and comes with an adapter, so that you can use 6 ordinairy AA cells as an emergency replacement. Having more than enough BP511 batteries, i've never used the adapter.

The number of shots you can achieve is very dependend on you style of shooting. At an airshow i've shot more than 2200 photos on 1 set of BP511's. But then i almost didn't use the display on the back for review, and obviously no flash.
Having upgraded from a 10D, i have the feeling that the 30D is more efficient than the 10D. I can use the camera for several days without recharging. And often enough i recharge, even when it is obviously not nesessary, just for piece of mind.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:11 PM   #3

I too use the grip with two regular batteries. They seem to last "forever." I tend to carry a single backup, which will work in the grip as well. But I have yet to need it.

I find myself giving the wheel a turn periodically to keep the grip tightly fastened. It sneaks loose on ya.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:03 PM   #4

Marc H wrote:
Quote:

I use the grip on my 30D, It holds 2 standard BP511 batteries, and comes with an adapter, so that you can use 6 ordinairy AA cells as an emergency replacement. Having more than enough BP511 batteries, i've never used the adapter.

The number of shots you can achieve is very dependend on you style of shooting. At an airshow i've shot more than 2200 photos on 1 set of BP511's. But then i almost didn't use the display on the back for review, and obviously no flash.
Having upgraded from a 10D, i have the feeling that the 30D is more efficient than the 10D. I can use the camera for several days without recharging. And often enough i recharge, even when it is obviously not nesessary, just for piece of mind.
Hello Marc,

That's good to know. I am considering the 30D. And also the battery grip. Nice to be able to shoot like a madman and not worry about missing that one prize winning shot. Being able to shoot over 2200 shots on a single charge is a plus (under your said conditions).

I'm also considering the Nikon 200D which has a higher rated battery output. And thus more shots available per charge. I'm surprised Canon hasn't already decided to go with lithium-ion batteries yet like Nikon.

Both are great cameras with their own pluses. But I am leaning a little more towards getting the Canon as it is "made in Japan" (vs. Thailand for the Nikon). Which IS important to me for peace of mind. I know the Nikon boys will tell me otherwise.

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:Both are great cameras with their own pluses. But I am leaning a little more towards getting the Canon as it is "made in Japan" (vs. Thailand for the Nikon). Which IS important to me for peace of mind. I know the Nikon boys will tell me otherwise. end quote

No wonder the Canons cost more according to the people at stevesforums: Nikon uses some of that cheaper labor in Thailand. :-)

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:36 AM   #6

I use the grip on my 30D allso! I have been using my 30D for 2 months now. I can't even remember when Ilastfilled my battery's.
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:09 PM   #7

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I'm also considering the Nikon 200D which has a higher rated battery output. And thus more shots available per charge. I'm surprised Canon hasn't already decided to go with lithium-ion batteries yet like Nikon.

Canon are using Lithium-ion batteries in their cameras, my 30d came with that.

tsaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:04 AM   #8

tsaros wrote:

Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

Canon are using Lithium-ion batteries in their cameras, my 30d came with that.

Hello tsaros,

I stand corrected. You are right. Surprised none of the other 30D owners said anything. Or any one else for that matter. Not sure how I missed the fact that the 30D/5D both use the same lithium-ion battery. I guess I just took it for granted that if the top 2 models were still using NiMH...Any ways, I just checked the Canon Canada website in more detail. And of the DSLR's only the 5D/30D use lithium-ion batteries. Even the 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark II N and XT still use NiMH battery packs. Perhaps when they update the 1Ds and 1D-N they too will use lithium-ion. It's about time. As the new XTi now uses a lithium-ion pack too now (old one did not).

Any how thanks for the heads-up!! Time for me to bow out of this thread. Cya around people!