Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1

In manual mode can I shoot fast subjects, sports, pets and people. Has anybody tried it. It's tough for me.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:26 PM   #2

You bet you can. I always use manual when shooting with the flash... the camera always acts like it "knows" what I want and provides great exposures.

Manual is the most flexible (and most difficult to use). Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:55 PM   #3

What about just for fast moving objects?
Wildman wrote:
Quote:
You bet you can. I always use manual when shooting with the flash... the camera always acts like it "knows" what I want and provides great exposures.

Manual is the most flexible (and most difficult to use). Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:41 PM   #4

Imacer,

There are 2 keys to capturing fast moving objects: which is it you're having an issue with? Is the subect blurry due to focus or motion?

Manual mode isn't any better or worse than Av or Tv in capturing action. In any of the 3 modes you want a fast enough shutter speed to freeze motion (what that shutter speed is depends on the action - but 1/500 is a good rule) but you still want a proper exposed picture. Manual mode is really good when exposure is very tricky - or lighting is constant. In general, it's easier to start off in aperture priority mode. Set the camera to this mode, set your aperture to widest value (although if you're using a 1.8 lens it will be very difficult to get good focus). Then, change your ISO value until you're getting at least 1/500 shutter speeds. If your camera is set to the highest ISO and widest aperture and your shutter speeds are below 1/250 you don't have a fast enough lens for the lighting you're shooting in.

Also, practice in good light even if you ultimately want pictures in poor light. Good light will allow the camera to focus better and you'll tend to get better results. Then when you get the hang of it you'll be better able to get the low light photos.

One other point - make sure your subject fills a good portion of the frame. It gives your camera a better chance to get accurate focus. So, at least for moving subjects, resist the urge to frame loosely.

Of course, if you post a couple uncropped, unprocessedpictures (want the image right out of the camera before you improve it)with the EXIF we can probably tell if there is a specific problem (focus issue, underexposed, too far away, etc...)

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:25 PM   #5

John the reason why i am asking about manual mode I think I have to be pretty quick with the apature button and shutter speed button for a fast subject in manual mode. Than to me the fast moving subject is gone.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:14 AM   #6

Imacer wrote:
Quote:
John the reason why i am asking about manual mode I think I have to be pretty quick with the apature button and shutter speed button for a fast subject in manual mode. Than to me the fast moving subject is gone.
OK, now I'm totally confused. You really shouldn't be adjusting anything while you're shooting (for the most part) - you should have your settings all set up BEFORE you try to capture action shots (now, if you're shooting over a several hour period you may do tweaks). This is also why I recommend using aperture priority mode - you shouldn't have to adjust anything. If your aperture is set to the widest value the only other thing you have to worry about is ISO. And I would still argue that you set the ISO value as soon as you get into the area where you'll be shooting. Even if it's a house or yard - whatever. Set the camera up at the proper ISO and widest aperture and then you can wait for the action.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Capturing good action is NOT about reacting to the action. It's about planning for it and being in the right place with your equipment ready to go. All you should have to do is flip the switch on and hit the shutter button - no changes to aperture, ISO or shutter speed necessary. If you had enough forsight to have the camera handy there's no reason I can see why you can't take 2 minutes to turn it on and select the appropriate settings.

So, given that rant :-)give me an example of a situation where you wouldn't be able to get your settings set before the action occurs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:49 AM   #7

Imacer wrote:
Quote:
Seems like you confusing manual focus with manual exposure mode. Even when you are in manual exposure mode, you don't need to change anything when shooting stationary or moving objects unless you are under/over exposing them.

Now if you were manual focussing then yes, doing it would be tought for moving subjects as you would have to focus while subject is moving. That's why you got AF.

You need to explain more what you trying to do and why it is not working. Post a shot if you can.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote