Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:16 AM   #1

How come there isn't a consistent price tag for the EOS 20D dSLR???

$969.00 at Beach Camera
$1249.99 at TigerDirect.com
$992.95 at 42nd Street Photo
$1099.99 at J&R Music and Computer World
$1288.99 at Super Warehouse
$1090.00 at Alwayslowest.com
US$1145 according to dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...non_eos20d.asp

Then the new EOS 30D model only cost a bit more than the year 2004 EOS 20D model???? (This is beginning to look ridiculous to me)

EOS 30D prices;

$1189.15 at Dell Small Business
$1399.99 at RitzCamera.com
$1189.00 at Beach Camera
$1299.00 at PC Connection
$1199.89 at Abes Of Maine
$1179.95 at 42nd Street Photo
$1176.65 at pcRUSH
$1274.95 at H1Photo.com

Isn't this weird or is it true?
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:32 AM   #2

$200 difference is pretty reasonable. The 30d was only a minor upgrade to the 20D - not an evolutionary leap. Plus Canon is under pricing pressure from it's competitors.

I will caution you however to look at www.resellerratings.com before you buy from an online vendor. There are a few vendors on your lists below I wouldn't trust.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:34 PM   #3

Have you looked at broadwayphoto.com? I bought my 20D and the 18-55mm kit lens for 1080.00. I watched their (and other's) products every day for 3 months until I concluded that broadway had the best overall prices (and ratings). See what you think...

kilobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:20 AM   #4

kilobravo, I've seen all those low prices from Broadwayphoto and have wondered whether they are "for real."

Was your experience with them good? Did you get what was advertised at the price advertised with no substitution hassles or attempts to sell you over-priced accessories? The camera came with all its accessories?

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:06 AM   #5
Super Moderator

If the price looks too good to be true then it is.

Be very careful.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:30 PM   #6

got my 20d at Buydig and couldn't be happier

http://www.buydig.com 979.00. free shipping got it in 3 days Same with my 70-300 DO IS
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:49 PM   #7

Buydig and Beach Camera are the same company.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Administrator

kilobravo wrote:
Quote:
Have you looked at broadwayphoto.com? I bought my 20D and the 18-55mm kit lens for 1080.00. I watched their (and other's) products every day for 3 months until I concluded that broadway had the best overall prices (and ratings). See what you think...
Did you actually get the camera?

Did you check to see if it was intended for sale in your country so that you can get it fixed if it breaks, since manufacturers will often refuse to service a camera intended for sale in another country?

Did you check your credit card statment for unnauthroized shipping and insurance charges?

Did you pay much attention to what the "extras" were costing you in comparison to what other vendors charge for them?

Suggested Reading (customer reviews for this Brooklyn Based Vendor). They no longer show up in the resellerratings.com search database, since they were caught trying to pad their ratings. But, they left most of the existing reviews in, so you can still find them. See this admin note:

Quote:
We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant. Due to the continuous submission of said reviews, we are no longer accepting new reviews for this store as of 1/19/2006.
See the pattern in the remaining reviews (you'll get the picture pretty fast reading through the customer reports for them.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

The Better Business Bureau has some nice things to say, too:

Quote:
Complaints to the Bureau indicate that this firm uses high pressures sales tactics after consumers place their orders. After ordering merchandise consumers report receiving a phone call from the firm's customer representatives attempting to sell additional items. Representatives allegedly try to persuade consumers to buy the U.S. warranty, as well as accessories like cables, peripherals, and software, or lead consumers to believe the product will not work if additional merchandise is not purchased. In some cases, if the consumers declined, an email was sent advising them to cancel their orders because the item was on back-order despite being listed as available on the firm's website. Consumers also reported unauthorized charges on their invoices. When trying to dispute such charges, consumers report difficulty talking to management, claiming they are verbally abused by the company's staff.
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=68047

More suggested reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote