Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:39 PM   #11

I am just hoping that this will mean that the price of the 350D will drop a little for us folk here in New Zealand as retailers clear their stock to make way for the new product... I've been waiting for a while the 350D to come down to a level where I would consider buying it. Unfortunately it may take a while as it seems, despite being one of the countries that it most accepting of new technologies, we are always a few months behind the rest of the world in actually getting new products like this onto the shop shelves.

NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:41 PM   #12

Sounds promising. But the fact that the XTi is still using the DIGIC II processor also makes me worry about the noise.

I'm much more interested in the 30D's successor which will hopefully have the DIGIC III processor.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:37 PM   #13

What does the CPU have to do with noise!!!??? It's the sensor and software algorithms that affects/reduces noise.

I too am worried about the 10MP being noisey...but 10 vs 8 (ie 25% smaller pixels) is not much area lost. They have had adecent amount of timeto figure out how to make the micolenses and the CMOS process better. Your eyes will never see a 10% difference in noise levels I bet.

The Nikon is also 10MP, and therefore also has smaller pixels than their prior camerasl. Canon is competing against the D80, not the old Rebels, so as long as noise is lower than the Nikon's, then canon is OK. Isn't the Sony (very similar sensor as the D80) noisey?

Nikon is more expensive, contrary towhoever above claimed, but their lens is VERY nice on paper. If Nikon'snoise is as low as the new Rebel, then their kit is tempting. I am surprised Canon is still using that same exact lens.

I wish they'd offer more software features, such as time lapse and wifi, and a better kit lens. The new LCD is good - the 1.8" LCD was ridiculously cheap.

Erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:08 PM   #14
NHL

The Nikon kit lens is clearly sharper than the Canon across the zoom range, according to actual tests (based on different camera though) - but the outcome is the same according to theses MTF results:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm
-> The Canon kit lens seems to hold distortion better as well as less vignetting though than the Nikon's

IMO though the 'anti-dust' feature is a positive step in the right direction and a great marketing feature which is a key differentiator to the Nikon
-> Nikon is now the only one sticking out like a sore thumb now that both Sony and Canon dSLR's have this feature (and don't forget Olympus)
-> Also another copied featured from the Sony/Minolta is one of the eye start feature when the camera is raised to the user's eye... :-)

BTW with CMOS the actual photo sensitive area can remain the same while shrinking the processing area (It's called the fill factor) so let wait for actual tests before coming to any conclusion...
-> This feature may allows designer to squeze more elements into the same die while maintaining (or even improving) the same sensitivity, unlike a CCD which doe the processing downstream from the sensor...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:02 AM   #15
Super Moderator

NHL, it's amazing how the Canon kit lens seems to always be regarded as rubbish, and the Nikon always regarded as better. NO MATTER THE EVIDENCE.

Nice position for Nikon I suppose.

As to noise, well the processor can have a great deal to do with it on a CMOS sensor if I've correctly understood this article.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7897-8537

So far Canon have never released a new camera with worse ISO performance than a previous one. They would rather keep the number of pixels the same than do that. 30D anyone?

My bet is that the new Rebel has equivalent ISO performance to the old, which means it's going to blow away the competition on that front.

And with the new Digic III processor I reckon we're going to see usable ISO 6400, perhaps gaining a full stop in noise suppression, without any loss of detail.

I think the anti-dust feature is pretty cool, and if they can just squeeze it into an updated 5D that would be very nice.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:29 AM   #16

Doesthe lack of spot metering in the 400D is really an issue of deciding which DSLR to buy ? advice please.
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:09 AM   #17
Super Moderator

I reckon that depends on your shooting style.

I know some photographers who only ever use spot metering, so for them I guess the lack would be pretty significant.

On the other hand I only ever use matrix metering, and I've been using the Canon version for long enough that I can pretty much instinctively know how it's going to meter a scene and dial in the appropriate amount of exposure compensation before the shot.

And of course with digital you always check your exposure after the shot anyway right? Mostly you can re-shoot if you didn't get it right the first time, depending of course on the type of photography you do.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:52 AM   #18
NHL

Don't forget just like the 30D, Canon again excels at positioning this entry-level camera in the market place - It intends to keep the lead by controling cost such as removing the separate LCD (like what Sony did) and display the camera data on the same rear viewing screen which then automatically turn-off when the camera is raised to the eye very similar to Minolta's "eye start"

At $699/799 MSRP - It's $200 cheaper than the Sony with built-in IS!
-> IMO that'll leave NIkon in a precarious position as the most pricey... with lesser features!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:46 AM   #19

After my initial 10D I swore off magnesium (for my needs). The generations are
coming too fast and furious. I switched to the XT rather than go with the 20D.

Now that the XTi has been announced I'm very glad that I had no reason to get
the 30D. The 10.1 mp's on the XTi & not on the 30D is a huge surprise.

I shoot tele all the time. The 1.6 crop factor helps me a great deal as does every
megapixel bump that comes around. Do I miss the jog wheel? yes Would I
like more FPS's? yes But I also like to upgrade often & the $$$$ loss with the
prosumer level is just too much for me.

I can't wait for a plastic 5D that I can stick my 17-40 on as a 2nd body..... but
that won't happen any time soon.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:46 AM   #20

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I reckon that depends on your shooting style.

I know some photographers who only ever use spot metering, so for them I guess the lack would be pretty significant.

It sure does (shooting style).

Photographers from the early 80s were talking about spot metering. Imagine that. From way back then. Is it ever going to change.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote