Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:57 AM   #21

Another thing you must agrre with me, is that the battery life (360~ shots) is pretty low considering the competition (at least for me) the Nikon D80, with 2700~ shots.
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:44 PM   #22
NHL

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Another thing you must agrre with me, is that the battery life (360~ shots) is pretty low considering the competition (at least for me) the Nikon D80, with 2700~ shots.
Have you considered how many extra batteries would the $200 difference buy?
Would you like to see less better (to be seen) pictures or 2000 more noisy pictures @ high ISO???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Would you like to see less better (to be seen) pictures or 2000 more noisy pictures @ high ISO???
Do you asume or know that the Nikon D80 will produced such noisy images ?! -- This issue and the final results will be published by professional reviewers soon enough, maybe we will have a surprise here maybe not.

BTW: I shoot most of my photos on the 200-800 ISO range.
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:37 PM   #24
NHL

Idan w
Quote:
Do you asume or know that the Nikon D80 will produced such noisy images ?
It's a fact that the D80 uses a variation of the Sony sensor used on both the D200 and the Alpha... and we all know where they stand
The only unknown is the new Canon sensor, but we'll know soon enough :idea:

BTW I never go above 400 so any of theses camera will do fine for me :lol: :-) :G
If it was up to me I would pick a camera with buit-in IS!!! (... and I already have many lens with IS already)
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:00 PM   #25

Would a high capacity Li-ion battery have less recharges? It's still great to be able to take 2700 shots in one sitting, but it's not like I've been able to drain a whole battery in a day with my XT, or find it bothersome to simply switch the batteries. Pros or hardcore enthusiasts can probably drain a canon battery easily, but I don't think either group will go for an entry level dslr :roll:

If the XTi has the lowest noise, then I'll be a happ(ier) canon user.

If not... well, then canon better shapen up :evil:
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:31 PM   #26
NHL

What about the optional hand grip (with two batteries inside)? - This easily go for thousand of shots and give you another shutter release to boot
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:25 AM   #27

The grip is great. Feels great, adds the portrait grip.
2 batteries & a better grip too. Let's see.......
I'm just going to run out & buy that Nikon just
so I can dump all my fine lenses.... all based upon
this thread..........
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:37 AM   #28

I was impressed at what this camera has to offer at this price.............
$799.......£423UK..........for the body and
$899.......£476UK..........for the kit.
Surely these prices are to good to be true ?

Guess what .....They are......... At least here in the UK.
While browsing online dealers I found advance orders being taken at the SRP of.................wait for it............................

£650UK.......thats $1227US........for the body and
£720UK.......thats $1359US.........for the kit.

Check out the online dealers for your region. Canons prices mean nothing in the UK.

Sad but true :sad:
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:57 PM   #29

Personally, I can't believe all of the complaining that is going on about this camera (that I've read other places anyway).... No spot metering, rear panel LCD is gone, etc... Regardless of what they've left off, moved, or done away with, the XTi is still a HUGE upgrade from the previous version.... It's got a bigger LCD (so maybe we can actually see what we've taken), better focusing, with a "redesigned" CMOS sensor and the sample photos that you can see on Canon's website, do you really think they've sacraficed that much noise control just to get 2 more megapixels? Heck... I want the darn thing just so that I have the sensor cleaning ability. On top of all of the improvements that they've made, they still made the thing to take the exact same battery pack, batteries and a few other things.... I can't believe that they did that.... That is wonderful!!! A lot of people are wondering why they've done some of the upgrasdes and left them off of the mid-grade cameras like the 20D or 30D.... Why not??? You've got to look at it, theDigital Rebel (D300), Digital Rebel XT (D350), (and now possibly the Digital Rebel XTi (D400), have been the bread and butter for Canon every since they came out with them.... They probably sell 7 Digital Rebelsto every 1 20D or 30D. So I can understand the work that they've put in to this thing... Now, I may eat my words and check the camera out and absolutely hate it... But I, personally, would love to have this camera as either an upgrade from my XT or as a second body to carry around in my bag.... Until I can afford an EOS 1DS Mark II, I think it's a great buy!
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:08 PM   #30

Just a quick question from a Pentax owner, what other cameras use the same Li-ion battery as the Rebel XT/XTi? I know the old Rebel used the larger battery from the 10D-20D-G series cameras, does the smaller Rebel use the same battery as the S series digicams? I can see Canon's logic here, smaller less expensive battery means lighter smaller camera body and makes a secod battery less of a financial burden.

Just curious.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote