Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:27 PM   #31

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The Nikon kit lens is clearly sharper than the Canon across the zoom range, according to actual tests (based on different camera though) - but the outcome is the same according to theses MTF results:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm
-> The Canon kit lens seems to hold distortion better as well as less vignetting though than the Nikon's

IMO though the 'anti-dust' feature is a positive step in the right direction and a great marketing feature which is a key differentiator to the Nikon
-> Nikon is now the only one sticking out like a sore thumb now that both Sony and Canon dSLR's have this feature (and don't forget Olympus)
-> Also another copied featured from the Sony/Minolta is one of the eye start feature when the camera is raised to the user's eye... :-)

BTW with CMOS the actual photo sensitive area can remain the same while shrinking the processing area (It's called the fill factor) so let wait for actual tests before coming to any conclusion...
-> This feature may allows designer to squeze more elements into the same die while maintaining (or even improving) the same sensitivity, unlike a CCD which doe the processing downstream from the sensor...

one of my Nikon mates has the Nikon kit lens on his Nikoncamera and I have my 18-55 mm lens on my Canon. Im getting as sharp if not sharper shots than he is and he is no poor photographer so I believe little of what I read in the reviews
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:55 PM   #32
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
one of my Nikon mates has the Nikon kit lens on his Nikoncamera and I have my 18-55 mm lens on my Canon. Im getting as sharp if not sharper shots than he is and he is no poor photographer so I believe little of what I read in the reviews
-> That's because you didn't run the lenses through Imatest - You probably eyeball it didn't you? :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:31 PM   #33

guess thats right although if one has to run a photo through a programme to see a difference, it cant be that noticable.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:20 AM   #34

I am still a beginner. Wanted to ask something related to flash. The d80 has front curtain and rear curtain flash which is not there in rebel xti. Is it so that by default, the flash will always be rear curtain in rebel xti. If that's true then what kind of snaps won't be possible with rebel xti due to lack of front curtain flash.
roopang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:28 AM   #35
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
guess thats right although if one has to run a photo through a programme to see a difference, it cant be that noticable.
Also when you blow-up the picture on enlarged prints - On a monitor you'll be hard pressed to see if anything...

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:30 AM   #36
NHL

roopang wrote:
Quote:
I am still a beginner. Wanted to ask something related to flash. The d80 has front curtain and rear curtain flash which is not there in rebel xti. Is it so that by default, the flash will always be rear curtain in rebel xti. If that's true then what kind of snaps won't be possible with rebel xti due to lack of front curtain flash.
-> But you can also select rear curtain sync on selected external flashes...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:19 AM   #37

Do you mean to say that with rebel xti the rear curtain/front curtain flash features can be provided only by few selected flashes, whereas d80 provides it out of the box.
roopang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:59 AM   #38

Greetings,

Considering that I work at FRy's and have always liked the digital rebel series but never bought one I really like this camera from the spec list. but where are all the pictures that this camera can do and when will a review site or any site have reviews on it.

Also, my work doesn't have details as to which day in september the camera's release will be on in North America and I can't find it in the press release.

Time to use my employee discount.

I love wortking the camera dept.

From,
Joe
JoeFBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:12 PM   #39

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Another thing you must agrre with me, is that the battery life (360~ shots) is pretty low considering the competition (at least for me) the Nikon D80, with 2700~ shots.

2700 shots? any flash, preview or menu changes?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:00 AM   #40

I was impressed at what this camera has to offer at this price.............
$799.......£423UK..........for the body and
$899.......£476UK..........for the kit.
Surely these prices are to good to be true ?

Guess what .....They are......... At least here in the UK.
While browsing online dealers I found advance orders being taken at the SRP of.................wait for it............................

£650UK.......thats $1227US........for the body and
£720UK.......thats $1359US.........for the kit.

Check out the online dealers for your region. Canons prices mean nothing in the UK.

Sad but true :sad:

Last edited on Sat Aug 26th, 2006 07:17 pm by Stranger

Play.com are offering the camera only £479.99 and with the kit lens £529

Sounds a pretty good deal to me

Steve

Stevetynant is offline   Reply With Quote