Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:48 AM   #1

I would like to do some wedding photography. I have a Canon 30D body with Canon 50mm 1.8 & Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens. Are these lens okay for wedding photography?

Also I would like to know the use of external flash. Is it really necessary or can I manage with the in-built flash?
Or can I do wedding photography with out flash?

Is 2GB card enough or should I get a 4GB card?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:56 AM   #2

Are you going to a wedding and want to take some pictures, or do you want to be a paid wedding photographer?
If the former, you have the gear to get some good pictures. If the latter, well, I suggest you try the former first and see how it goes...
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:00 AM   #3

I'm assuming you will be the official wedding photog....paid or not LOL

You should be fine with your lenses, the 1.8 & 2.8 will help you avoid flash quite a bit, esp during the ceremony when flashes are prohibited.

As far as the card it really depends whether you're shooting in RAW or not. If youhave a laptop I would usethe 2GB card, shoot in RAW, upload portrait shots before the ceremony, thenceremony shots before the reception.

I'd highly recommend gettinga 580ex or 430ex. I have a 20d which has the same popup flash as 30d and it washes out/flattens everything, especially skintones. The external allowsyou bounce it off a wall or a ceilingwhich dramatically improves the lighting.Alsofor groupportraits your onboard flash wont reach nearly as far or evenly as a speedlite. The two pics are of me at two different weddings; one was with a Rebel XT andonboard, one was by the wedding photog who used an Elan7E and a 420ex. Note the redeyein the first.

I absolutely love my 580ex, it has elevated my shots more than any piece of glass. I'd rather shoot with the 50mm 1.8 and the 580 for all eternity than any L lens without it. Ok so you may be thinking "why don't you marry it?" Well now that I'm single again I just may do that! :?
Attached Images

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:06 AM   #4

I haven't thought about paid photographer or non-paid photographer. All I need is to take quality pictures. Also I would like to know the importance of external flash in wedding photography. Also about the lens. I need to decide on the accessories soon as I need to order it from a different country, if needed. So I need some experts advice on it. How to take professional quality pictures in wedding.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:37 AM   #5

Just wondering whether I can manage it with 50mm 1.8 lens with out flash,
by boosing up the ISO.

Thanks for the sample image. The skin tones looks nice with external flash. Is there any good third party flashes for 30D, as I'm worried about my budget also?

I have a laptop, that a good idea. Also I have a 4GB Microdrive. Not sure whether it's okay to use in a 30D as it is slow.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6

Glass,
you haven't answered the most important question. Are you the only photographer there? Are you the *PAID* photographer for the event or are you just trying to get good shots at a wedding. Are you going to take pictures at a wedding, or are you just *thinking* about it?

The answers to those questions change my answer to your questions radically.
Please answer, you sorta brushed off similar questions earlier in this thread.

There is a fairly good non Canon flash made by Sigma. The Sigma 500 Super G (I think that is the name) is the most powerful they make and I've heard good things about it. I'm not sure it has a built-in defuser, which you might want. I believe the Canon does (I have the 550EX and it does.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:06 PM   #7

That Sigma flash is the Sigma EF-500 DG Super, and it does have a built-in diffuser.

Anyway, my sister just got married 2 weeks ago. She hired a pro...she (the photographer) used a 5D w/ the Canon fish eye lens, and she had a second body...a 1Ds w/ a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L lens...both bodies with a Canon 580EX flash.

My brother in-law and I also took a bunch of photos. I used a 30D w/ a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and 580EX flash. I lent my Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS and 50mm f1.4 lenses to him. He used it with his 20D and XT bodies respectively. He used a Canon 550EX flash for both bodies.

None of us could use flash in church, so our lenses had to be fast. "Equipmently" speaking, you'll need an external flash and a wider fast lens than the 50mm to capture what you need to capture. I say "equipmently" cuz IMHO, one will need more than equipment to be the main photographer ina wedding. I do not have that "more" so I declined when my sister asked me to shoot her wedding. Although my brother-in-law used to be a pro wedding photographer, I advised her to get a current pro anyway. A lot of things can go wrong when you haven't done it or when you haven't done it in a long time...thewedding date is not the time to findout what you missed or forgotten.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:05 AM   #8

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Glass,
you haven't answered the most important question. Are you the only photographer there? Are you the *PAID* photographer for the event or are you just trying to get good shots at a wedding. Are you going to take pictures at a wedding, or are you just *thinking* about it?

The answers to those questions change my answer to your questions radically.
Please answer, you sorta brushed off similar questions earlier in this thread.

Eric
Eric,

I'm new to DSLR. I'm not a paid photographer. But I would like to take professional pictures for my friends/relatives wedding. Also, I would like to do it as a hobby. Never thought about Paid photographer or un-paid photographer. Does it make difference in the picture? I too need a high quality picture in a professional way. Also the importance of flash or any other accessories etc in wedding photography.

Thanks

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:29 AM   #9

If you are the only photographer and they are depending on you then it makes a huge difference.

You have the gear to get some very nice pictures.
You do not have the gear to get all the pictures the couple might be expecting THE photographer to get.
You also don't have back-up equipment if your gear somehow fails.

So, once again, are you going to be the 'official' photographer?
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:14 AM   #10

Glass.....
I shoot weddings as a way to buy my new toys when Canon comes out with something new...Everybody has their own opinion about what to use but I will tell you what I have and had great sucess with...
20D for the main camera...
10D back up...You need a back up if your getting in the business...
24-70mm 2.8L Canon
70-200mm 2.8L Canon
28-200mm 3.5-5.6 Canon
Speedlite 550ex...Get a diffuser, your shots will be much nicer
and one of the most important, I think, is a flash bracket...This
eliminates shadows and keeps your flash on top of your lens...
I have the Press T, but there are bunches out to choose from...
I use Photoshop 7 and Photoshop Elements 3.0 for any editing...
To tell you the truth, I prefer Elements...Much easier to do the minor
adjustments....I would also suggest getting with a wedding photog
and ask if he/she would let you go on a few to learn....
Trust me, nothing worse than a bridezilla because of lousy pictures...
They will hunt you down... :shock:

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote