Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 28, 2003, 5:23 AM   #11
NHL

Eric

Don't get me wrong, both brands are 'good' in their own way. I'm just pointing to some differences where one offers and the other is kind of behind (until they catch up that is).

I'm not limiting myself to OEM only as seen by my lenses selection. In a studio for example all you need is a sync cord and much better results can be achieved by cheaper manually triggered AC-strobes. What you're getting is E-TTL control on location when you are not fully prepared, where lightings are not controlled, and different flash heads can be controlled wirelessly with different ratio TTLy as well (without the need to untangle/re-wind, tripping over the sync cords). With a non-OEM for example you only get TTL control to 1 head, or through sync cables again.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/st-e2.shtml

All I'm saying is Nikon made another booboo here by not having their SU-4 compatible with their digital cameras, you can still retain the TTL function with their expensive sync cords if you want to hook up multiple heads, Canon just offer you the freedom of cordless that all! It's just a personal choice, my gripe is theses SLRs are huge and heavy already. (and I don't want to carry extra bags of long cables, or wish I did when the occasion arise). 8) 8) 8)

Also along the same line, TTL cords are thick and heavy and will yank on the flash -> you'll need multiclamps/hotshoe-adapter -> and lightstands are no longer just an option but a neccessity (instead of just that cute plastic stand that comes with the flash by going wireless)! Trust me, I've used the Minolta's wireless set-up among other photographers AC strobes and it allowed me to 'custom' a few shots by just not hooking up the sync cord and used the wireless trigger instead. I could also easily reverted back and forth by just hooking up the sync cord. BTW theses systems have multiple channels so more photographers can do the same trick (without bothering one another)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 8:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
[email protected]

Having researched both Nikon and Canon before choosing which to get (the 10D order has been made) I don't think I'd completely agree with you.

Quote:
Canon is so far way a head of Nikon on the area of AF in relating to USM and IS.
Eric,

What I meant is: if you look back to the past, Canon had their first USM lens a long time ago before Nikon AF-S first offered on the 28-70mm F/2.8 and then the 80-200 F/2.8. Canon now at probably on the third of fourth generation of USM version (new and improved) while Nikon is still at the first generation of their AF-S, the new AF 24-120mm AF-S VR will be the second generation of AF-S but still have the same version of VR. Canon offered the IS a longtime ago, even before the application on photographic lenses, it was on both pros and consumer camcorders (OIS), and Nikon have their first VR on the AF 80-400mm not too long ago. I am not saying Canon IS and USM is better than Nikon, I'm saying Nikon always behind Canon on applying new technology to their products( in most cases), and now with Canon DO optics, when do you think Nikon will have this feature on their tele or tele -zoom lenses?

Having said that, I still think Nikon F5 has of of the most advanced metering sytem til to date, but then again, this just my .02 cents, purely personal opinion.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 8:56 AM   #13

NHL

Ahh.. (Remember now, I said I was ignorant in the ways of flash!) Are you suggesting that the Canon wireless system will communicate back and forth between all the flashes wirelessly, so the ttl configuration/setup info is shared between all the flashes and not just the attached ones? And that the system that Nikon limited their digitals to can't do that (you have to go wired to get it.) Well beyond just triggering by syncing the flashes on the pulse. Yes, that would be very good indeed.

And I fully agree with you about cables. 'Nough said!

[email protected]

Canon is on their 4th generation USM. I read about them all one time... I should have a link somewhere, but I can't find it. One link is:
http://www.photo.net/canon/lens-motors

but that isn't the one I was thinking about. Must be at work.

I wouldn't say that Nikon is not still on it's 1st generation AF-S. I believe they are on their second.... (Gotta find that link too!) The 24-120 will have second generation VR. Only the 100-400 is 1st gen (it doesn't support panning, the other 2 do.)

I guess I'm sensitive to comments like your first one because I see it all the time on dpreview. People bash Nikon because its fashionable (on the Canon forum.) Personally, I care very little about what they did in the past. Nikon might be slow, but they catch up and put out good stuff (even better some times.) But that doesn't make them "dead" (as dpreview posters like to say.)Reading what you last post and your last line in the previous post now makes more sense. I was reading something into your post, instead of really getting your last line:

Quote:
I don't meant to say Canon products is better than Nikon (since I use both), but Nikon does have plenty to catch up with Canon in the area of innovative applications using technology.
Like or dislike Nikon, it's hard to argue with that last part. Too many people say that Nikon is "behind in X or Y" when Nikon has caught up. People mean "they didn't have it first." So? Maybe they started later in applying the tech, but by now they have it (except for DO.) If they have what you need now, then you're all set.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Do you like the new high meg camera and what lense do you use? Would you buy it again?
Yes, the 1Ds is an excellent camera in every respect. I use a variety of Canon lenses, but since I have little need for super wide angle, I have nothing wider than 28mm. My use runs more toward telephoto, and to that end I have the 100-400L IS, the 70-200 F2.8 and will order the Sigma 50-500 shortly. I also use the Canon 400mm F2.8 prime and several additional smaller lenses such as the 100mm macro, 28-105 USM, 50mm F1.8, etc.

Of course I would buy it again - but whether it's the "right" camera for a person depends on many factors. If you shoot primarily at the telephoto end of the spectrum, the EOS-10D (which I also use) is a great camera. If you shoot primarily sports, the EOS-1D (I use this as well) is the best tool I know of. But for telephoto use, you give up a great deal with the 1Ds simply because you loose the field of view crop advantage. For example, a 100mm shot with the 10D gets you a full six megapixels within the field of view of a 160mm. So to "equal" the field of view with the 1Ds, you would need a 160mm lens.

With all the "megapixels" what about simply cropping the image from the 1Ds to the field of view of the 10D? Well, though the 1Ds has excellent resolution and super high quality capture, you still loose a considerable amout of resolution vis a vis the 10D in terms of crop factor. If you crop a 1Ds capture to the identical field of view of the 10D, you end up with 4.4 megapixels of image. You have the full 6.1 megapixels with the 10D/D60.

So to equal the telephoto capabilities of the 10D/D60, you must use larger glass with greater focal length and much greater expense.

On the other hand, if you are shooting landscapes and want to print large, it's much more convenient to shoot a few overlapping images with the 1Ds and stitch them than to shoot "many" with the 10D to get similar results. I stay away from super wide angle lenses with my 1Ds because of chromatic aberration which is more apparent with this camera than with 35mm film cameras.

Decide where you will be spending the most time and effort with your photography. If at the telephoto end, the 1D or 10D would be better overall choices unless you have deep pockets. If at the wide angle end, the 1Ds is a dynamite choice in every way.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 2:45 PM   #15

the replacement camera came today and operates like a dream so far.

Lin- awhile back we had a discussion about the merits of a full frame Dslr. i swallowed hard here and got my wish and no w i have the camera. i'll be starting to shoot with it this weekend. i only wish it was nikon that produced it. new lenses are expensive.

still waiting on little things like my RRS L plate which i was told has been re designed. 2 week wait. kinda tough to put it on my tripod right now.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 3:57 PM   #16

Congratulations! I thik you will love it. The image quality is incredible and you can print incredibly clean posters from most captures.

If I get a chance, I'll do a comparison feature between the D30, 10D, 1D and 1Ds soon. I've been buried in work lately and I'm trying to semi-retire, but the more I try to slow down, the more I get roped into jobs I would prefer to not do. At least I've confined my work to stateside now so I have a few free weekends to shoot wildlife, etc.

Let's see some shots from your new camera soon! Looking forward to it.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 11:41 PM   #17

well Lin and all, the camera is starting to grow on me already. just added the 550EX strobe and the controller timer/release TC-80N3. that component i can advise highly at $130. it not only acts as the cable release but intervalometer+. the price return ratio for me vs the $48 cable release is substantially greater.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:20 PM   #18

well i am fairly impressed with the operation of this "little" beast(1Ds). it did take a little getting used too though versus my F5. took a little trip to lexington, KY last week. The Kentucky Horse Park is a place i highly recomend to anyone who likes horses. arrived there at 9am. i alotted about 3 hours there. left at 4:15pm and wasn't satisfied. definately a 2 day event for me next time.

http://www.pbase.com/image/18842176

this place is truely enjoyable.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:44 PM   #19

I'll have to file that place away to remember. I used to show horses when I was younger (not race!) and I rode for pleasure as well. Horses are wonderful animals.

Glad you're enjoying your 1Ds. If I could only dial in the 1.6 crop to my zooms like the 10D has (we'll ignore the price tag) I'd have leaped at it. I love to have something with its AF system... wow.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:51 PM   #20

they had a number of events going on like sidesaddle riding competitions complete with period clothing. we will go back. the whole operation is run by the state. if there is anything going on while your there expect at least 2 days of shooting there.