Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 25, 2003, 2:53 PM   #1

Default Canon SLR EOS 1Ds To Buy or Not To Buy

Do you like the new high meg camera and what lense do you use?
Would you buy it again?
Art Bogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2003, 3:33 PM   #2

I think question you should add is what do you use it for and does it work well for that?

Many people have stated that the 1Ds shows up the flaws in lesser quality lenses. I don't know if this is true, I don't have any experience with the 1Ds. Wish I did, though.

Most people in this forum are not Pros, so they don't have a spare $7,000+USD to spend on a camera body. If you really want lots of talk about the 1Ds (mixed in with too much 10D talk) check out the forums at dpreview.com
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 7:56 AM   #3

you also might want to got to www.fredmiranda.com . it is a more EOS centered group.
lots of info and opinions.

it took me 6 months to decide to decide to plunge in to a Canon camera after 15 yrs as a Nikon user. i'm still not convinced on the product though. the first 1Ds body i received was a real beauty. it did everything but just lacked 1 capability. when i went to actually fire the shutter it would AF fast and accurate. it wouldn't take the image though. "Err99" everytime out of the box. this is using their 24-70 f2.8L USM lens not a sigma that has been known to have comm protocol issues with the EOS. i will receive my new replacement body hopefully tomorrow and see what it can do in my hands. not a good start for me.

i must admit though that they do give you quite a bit to start off with. a charger that charges 2 batteries at once w/refresh. an AC power adapter and dummy battery for external power. a firewire cable (6P to 6P) (fairly long too) for tethered shooting/transfer straight to you computer. a battery of course. 2 short novels on operating all the stuff you got. and other little sundry items i didn't get to before having to send it back.

if you decide to dive in i suggest extending the warranty with canon.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:51 AM   #4

Gotta just hate how they dropped stuff on the 10D. No external AC adapter, only a 1-battery charger (the D60 had a 2-battery right?) I don't mind the battery charger change, but no AC? Thanks, guys. On the other hand, I might not have been able to afford one if they hadn't cut the extras to save money.... so I won't complain too much.

sjms

It does sound like your 1Ds was missing just that one feature you needed, eh?

I suggest that site also. Good groups there (helps they split the pro models from the prosumer.)
Old May 27, 2003, 10:05 AM   #5

Looks like to me, straight from the 10D box, the only thing that I can use is the down-sized charger (and the BP-511) from the D30, I don't remember using anything else but put all of them back in the box. But for the subtantial reduced costs on the 10D, I guess most of Canon users are please with that, still one "heck " of the deal in comapre to the current cost of the Nikon D100.

With this revolution 10D camera, it helps Canon to sell more L lenses than ever, I hope they will consider to lower the costs on these beautiful collection of lenses. Canon is so far way a head of Nikon on the area of AF in relating to USM and IS. I don't meant to say Canon products is better than Nikon (since I use both), but Nikon does have plenty to catch up with Canon in the area of innovative applications using technology. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 12:50 PM   #6
NHL

I don't know about you guys, but 1 battery is plenty for me and last pretty long (coming from a D7)! I'm still trying to get over the size (and weight) of this thing... Another grip for two batteries just don't make this camera any smaller (or lighter)! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(... a spare in the bag is fine though)
BTW I'm the odd one out here by going the Sigma EX way to save on the cost and weight of the lenses (f2.8's). But I plan on getting the EF50mm 1.0L for portrait...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 1:41 PM   #7

[email protected]

Having researched both Nikon and Canon before choosing which to get (the 10D order has been made) I don't think I'd completely agree with you.

Quote:
Canon is so far way a head of Nikon on the area of AF in relating to USM and IS.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Although Nikon has only 2 VR lenses (with another soon, in theory) the new VR is quite good and supports negating the shake in only one direction instead of two (i.e. still usable while paning.) I don't believe many (if any) Canon IS lenses can do this. If they do, I'd like to know which ones. I might buy one! Either way, the 80-200 VR is just as good VR wise as Canon's IS from everything I've read. (The 100-400VR is a dog, don't use that for comparison. Focuses slower than molasis, and its VR is first gen.. not what is in the newer lens.)

Also, I've used both USM and AF-S lenses, and both can focus very fast in the right lens. I wouldn't say they are way behind in that area. If you mean AF sensor's, then it isn't fare to compare the 10D's sensor to the D100 and say Canon is "so far ahead" because Nikon makes a better AF sensor in the D1x/D1h. It's annoying that they didn't use that one, but they didn't want to steal sales from the higher model (same reasoning beween the AF system in the 10D and 1D/1Ds.)

Canon's DO 400mm lens is a revolution (to me.) I've never seen one, but I believe I've read that it is as good as the standard 400mm, plus smaller and lighter. I just wish it was cheaper! If Canon can push DO through its larger lens line and keep the quality, this will really hurt Nikon. I'd like a 600mm, but I don't want to carry it (or pay that price!)

On the other hand, Canon needs to follow Nikon and make DX-equivalent lenses. Cheaper wide angle for non-full frame digital is really important to some people. But this should be an easier engineering task than copying DO, so I assume if they want to, they could do it.

NHL

I'd like the double batter charger just to make it easier to take two with me (one in the bag.) I'm an engineer, I like the idea of knowing I've got two fully charged batteries with me. Of course, I'd rather it take AA's (as would you) but such is life.
Old May 27, 2003, 1:45 PM   #8

i will receive my replacement new 1Ds tomorrow. unfortunately i have just sent my 2 lexar pro i gb 32x cards for replacement or firmware UD for the D1x/h issue. sent it fedex on them overnight. should have those back by friday they say. it seems they treat their pro cards with a little more urgency. i like that.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 3:52 PM   #9
NHL

Eric s

Not to defend [email protected] or anything, but the Canon's ST-E2 wireless controller for their flashes is kind of much more advanced than the Nikon SU-4, which BTW doesn't work with any of their digital cameras.

Just an observation as an engineer that's all... (you can always use the cords!) 8) 8) 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 10:59 PM   #10

NHL

I've never looked at a single wireless flash system. My question would be, why would you limit yourself to the OEM system? OEM flashes are much more expensive. What little I've read about flashes have people working in a mixed environment triggering off the main flash (OEM as the main flash, after-market off-body). Am I missing something in my ignorance?

I could say that I've been told that Nikon's flash system integerates metering info better from the scene. But I really have no experience with either Canon's or Nikon's flash systems, just what I've read.

But I was only defending Nikon because I think they get treated badly in ways I don't think they deserve. They do deserve being beaten up for some things (the delay in their new bodies, consistantly pricing their lenses higher than Canon, too few VR lenses,....) but not to the extent people seem to do it.