Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:23 PM   #1

Why have they announced a release for a 10 mega pixel 400D when they left the 30D at 8 mega pixel. I only just got the 30D and find this rather disappointing. They could have upped the mega-pixels on the 30D.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:08 PM   #2
NHL

That was my complain when they 1st came out with the 30D at a time when the D200 already exceeded it in resolution...(and then the Sony). The next model after the XT is surely coming though, they probably save it for the Photokina
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:29 AM   #3

I was just wondering, the 30D is a great camera and 8 megapixels is fine but I wonder what stopped them increasing the megapixel when the release date of the 30D and the new 400D are so close
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:26 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Because they couldn't do it without increasing noise or affecting buffer depth and shot speed, and 8->10 is more of a marketing feature than a true step up in resolution.

They judged that 30D users would rather have a deeper buffer, 5fps and high-ISO performance than a few extra pixels.

I think we're going to have to wait for the new digic 3 processor for the big upgrades. I don't think the 30D is going to be upgraded very soon. It will be some time yet.

Those marketing features are more important for the entry-level cameras where they need to directly match the competition.

Sony is stealing market share with an inferior (IMO) camera the Alpha v 350D, so they had to respond.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:32 AM   #5

very true, i think it entices people to buy when they see a large mega pixel number,I know this from my non camera savvy friends. Im very happy with 8 mp,I was also very happy with 6.3mp in the 300D and upgraded for the other improvements not mega pixels. It is interesting to see the fight going on over entry level DSLRs
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:55 AM   #6
NHL

The should really called the 30D a 20DN

Manufacturers often try to slow down the pace of costly product developments so they often cook up minor product update in their 1/2 life to keep the camera fresh.
Adding more memories is quite inexpensive (as memories always cheaper than when the original product was released), improving the look of the product (larger viewing screen), and upgrading the firmware is also quick and inexpensive (but improve the product operation)

You can notice the above 'minor-tweaks' in the following cameras already:
D70 -> D70s
D2X -> D2Xs
20D -> 30D
1D MrkII -> 1D MrkIIN

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:59 PM   #7

To me, the XTi + 10 MB is just a 'testbed' for the next 30D upgrade/version. Should they just tweek the 30D's CMOS to increase the pixel and ruin the reputation of pro-summer camera such as 30D? Nah! it's better to use it on the old Rebel body with a little improvement. Perhaps, if the market doesn't complain about new "noise" in the 10 MB on the same old CMOS, then they might used it in the next" 30DN" (or whatever) . That's mine 5cents of speculation.
QV
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote