Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

I have a little black dot looking through my view finder. Does not effect photos. It's not my lenses. I cleaned the mirro with cleaning kit. Maybe not to good but still their. Any help would be nice, what is my next step. I have a Canon Rebel XT.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:56 AM   #2
NHL

The dust may not be on the mirror, but sandwiched between the viewing sceen and the prism, in which case a camera shop can do it for you... Unless it's a 1 series or 5D where the viewing screen is removeable by the user.

On other cameras it's just harder that's all, but a skill technician can do it for you
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

It is possible that the dust is on the viewfinder glass, and if you tilt the camera you can see the focusing screen toward the top of the camera. If you turn the camera upside down so that the lensmount points down you can usually get the dust out with a blower, but be caereful not to hit the mirror oranything else with the blower.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4

I also have a little black dot when i look through my VF (same camera). If i look very carefully. I can see it with the camera upside down, where the mirror reflects to (Focusing screen as Walter K said?). I cannot however, get it off. I've tried to blow it off, and gently remove it with a lens cloth, but to no avail - any ideas? It's just left of centre and i see it everytime i take a picture - infuriating!

Gareth
Gaz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:14 PM   #5

I have the same problem om my 30D, a local store said that the camera had to be more or less taken apart to clean it and it was best to leave it like it is

I might give the blower a try thou, seems like a easy fix if it works.

tsaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6

That's what i've been told too Pretty disappointing when stepping up to a more expensive camera from a PAS, which has always been perfect...

Gareth
Gaz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7

After reading a bit on how to check where the dust in i have come to the conclusion that my problem is actually on the sensor itself, now to get a cleaning kit and give that a try

My initial assumption that the dust was on the viewfinder was based on that i really dident notice any flaws when shooting normally, but taking a picture of the sky at f22 did show the same problems i notice in the viewfinder.

The sensor is downright filthy, I to am coming from a PS but that is a different animal where you cant open the house to exchange the lens and let dust in.

The attached picture is to show how filthy my sensor is:sad:
Attached Images

tsaros is offline   Reply With Quote