Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS M

Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:12 PM   #1

Default Neewer NW680 speedlite for Canon

If you are looking for an external flash and don't want to spend a lot of money. You may want to take a look at this unit: Neewer NW680 speedlite. I got one from Ebay for $78 shipped from China. It took 10 days for them to ship it to my house. This flash unit is identical to the Godox Thinklite TT680 except the name on the box and on the front of the flash itself.

What do you get for the money:
1. The flash unit
2. Mini stand
3. A velvet protective bag
4. User's manual which say "Thinklite TT680"

First impression:
1. This flash unit is quite big about the size of the Canon 580EXII.
2. It has a metal base with screw-in lock
3. E-TTL II mode for automatic flash application.
4. Swivel flash head for bounce flash with pull-out wide angle panel and catchlight card (white).
5.GN 58
6. 3 modes of operations: M, E-TTL II and Multi.
7. Has a power input for external power pack.

Hands on testing:
1.E-TTL on the EOS-M with an EF-S 18-55mm lens with adapter. The flash works well and the flash head is able to communicate with the camera and shows the correct zoom indication.

2. M mode/manual also works, I can change the power output from 1/1 all the way down to 1/128.

3. I didn't check the Multi mode. I don't know what it is and probably will never use it.

What do I think of this flash?
1. The GN 58 claim is probably an exaggeration, it is not even as strong as my 430EXII.
2. The flash output looked weak when I did use it for the first few times and the lighting looked uneven.
3. After about 20 flashes or so, it got better and the output looks normal as it it needed to be broken-in.
4. I also tested this flash on my 5D MKII and it performed well.

Summary:

I only received it from the USPS yesterday and can't really tell you a lot and have no idea if the flash will even last since it only has a 2 months warranty from the vendor in China. So far it seems to work well and I will continue to use in the next few days to see how it performs in real life situation. This is a good deal for what it can do and I do think that it is better than at the the Canon 320EX which my friend paid $200 for. The Godox sells for $130 and I got the same flash for $50 less. It may be a little to big on the EOS-M and is a good one if you don't mind its size and weight.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:41 PM   #2

Default Dummy setting in an event with Neewer MW680+EOS-M

The Intercultural Committee was celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival today at the club house by sharing moon caked (Chinese sweet pastry) with its members. Then we went out to have lunch at the Chef Wok Seafood Restaurant in Alameda. I always take pictures for them and this time was no exception. Armed with the EOS-M with the Neewer MW680 flash and the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, I set out to test the flash with the automatic setting (E-TTL II on flash and Green A+ mode on camera).

I am happy to say that it works rather well especially inside the restaurant. Some pictures in the club house may look a little over-exposed due to the fact that there is light coming in through the large windows and the overhead fluorescent lights. Overall, not bad for using just the dummy setting.

You can see the whole album here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10952...85909890591745
Attached Images

Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Sep 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote