Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Canon Lenses (
-   -   Advice needed on "vacation lens" (

MichaelT1i Oct 27, 2009 10:18 AM

Advice needed on "vacation lens"
I'm currently in the market for what I have seen on-line refered to as a "vacation lens", i.e. a 18-200mm zoom to replace the 18-55mm kit lens on my Canon T1i.

1.) I'm pretty certain I want to stay at 18mm at the wide angle end

2.) Image quality is very important, but cost is also a factor

With those criteria, 2 lenses appear to potentially meet my needs:

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (~$600)

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (~$600)

Any advice in choosing one over the other? Are there other 18-xxxmm lenses that I should be considering?


TCav Oct 27, 2009 10:59 AM

What you seem to be referring to is a superzoom lens. Superzoom lenses, in trying to do a lot, end up not doing anything well. If what you want is convenience, a superzoom lens is what you want. If quality is what you want, you'll be disappointed with a superzoom. They all have significant distortion at the wide end, significant chromatic aberration at the long end, and aren't very sharp anywhere in their range.

Both the Canon 18-200 IS and the Tamron 18-270 VC are among the best superzooms available, but neither of them is as good as your 18-55 IS where their ranges overlap.

Hards80 Oct 27, 2009 11:04 AM

well, with these kinds of lenses, compromise is the key word. you will give up image quality for convenience. so just keep that in mind from the start.

that said, the tamron 18-270 is probably slightly better. and also better than the sigma offerings, especially on a canon body.

MichaelT1i Oct 27, 2009 12:37 PM

Thx. for the comments.

I already own a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and was looking for a superzoom for convienence, but I dont want to take a big hit on image quality... sounds like I may be better off going thru the hassle of switching lenses when the situation call for it.

TCav Oct 27, 2009 3:42 PM

If you're just looking for something to suppliment your 18-55 IS when you want to travel light, the Tamron 55-200 is better than a superzoom and it's a lot smaller and a lot lighter than your Canon 70-300 IS USM. It's also cheap: $175 - $40 rebate through the end of the year. It's not stabilized, though.

Hards80 Oct 27, 2009 4:17 PM

i would just use the 70-300 IS, its a good tele and worth the little extra weight.

Calicajun Oct 27, 2009 8:49 PM

For a good all around, walk around lens the Tramon 18-270mm lens is my pick. Have seen lots of great looking, sharp pictures taken with that lens. Now if you don't mind carry two lenses while on vacation, then the 18-55 f2.8 IS lens is a great lens to have along with your 70-300mm.

MichaelT1i Oct 28, 2009 3:03 PM


Originally Posted by Calicajun (Post 1013819)
Now if you don't mind carry two lenses while on vacation, then the 18-55 f2.8 IS lens is a great lens to have along with your 70-300mm.

I assume you mean the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS?

Calicajun Oct 28, 2009 4:45 PM

Yep, that's the one. Yeah, I was only off by one digit.:o:)

maggo85 Oct 29, 2009 1:54 AM

And what do you people think about the Sigma 18-250 with image stabilisation? Has anybody taken pictures with this lens on a canon?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:22 AM.