Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Canon EF 100-400 L IS II USM lens ... Converter?

Greetings,

I have the Canon EF 100-400 lens and am looking for a 2X converter. I have a Bowers 2X MC7 C-AF DGII converter but I don't think I can get it to work with my Canon 7D Mark II camera with this Canon lens. It tells me a firmware update is required. I've updated my camera, looked for a firmware update on my lens and there is nothing listed. Do any of you know if I can make this combination work?

Thank you so much for any advice you might give.
Tangula
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:17 PM   #2

Your Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has a maximum aperture of f/4.5 at 100mm and f/5.6 at 400mm. A 2X teleconverter will not only double the focal length of the lens, but it will add 2 stops the the lens' maximum aperture. So you'll get a 200-800mm f/9-f/11 lens.

You should know that autofocus systems stop working when the maximum aperture is f/8.0 or smaller (numerically larger), so even if it does work, you won't be able to AF.

You should also know that the Kenko/Vivitar/Bower MC7 2X TC produces a substantial amount of chromatic aberration. Since your 100-400 already produces more than a little CA, you may not care for the results you'll get with this combination.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:54 PM   #3

G'day Tangul

As TC mentions above, tele-converters often come with additional problems. Perhaps seeing that the camera has 'heaps of pixels available' it might be easier / cheaper etc. just to crop your original images

Or otherwise - go a little bit 'mad' and buy a superzoom / bridge camera with a 1000mm [film camera equiv] lens for those times you want something long ... it won't be as good as a canon 600 ~ 1000mm lens but it will be a damn lot cheaper

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:34 PM   #4

Thank you both for your responses. It sounds like it is not worth adding my converter to that lens. Drats. I would love to spend the money and get a 1000 mm. LOL. However, I cannot swing the cost of that. I did take a look at a used one and even those costs are high.

I appreciate you taking the time to add your comments.

Tangula