Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Never really considered Tamron. Nor Sigma for that matter. Not sure why.
May be you should - Check out wsandman1's Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX even against the EF-300L f/4 prime!

... subjectively: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/15lbsd
and objectively: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...00_4/index.htm

-> It even outscores my EF 100-400L with a 1.4x teleconverter on !!!


I don't see anyone post a macro lens either :idea:
... So again, against Canon's best (prime): http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/135v150
Thanks for posting the URL's. Eye opener for me. Had no idea Sigma's were that good. To compare to or better some of Canon's best. Impressive!

I've bookmarked those URL's for reference.

But, as good as those Sigma lenses are, I'd love it if they had IS built-in. As I plan to do a lot of photography hand-held. As a matter a fact most of my photography done these days is hand-held. So, when I do pickup my DSLR, I might still opt for a Canon IS lens. But not discounting Sigma.

I'd prefer it if I didn't have to lug around my tripod. Perhaps I will need to invest in a monopod to use with those lens that do not have IS. Or risk less than rock solid looking shots using those lens hand-held.

Peter,

As for what uses I would have for these lens...it would be for portrait, landscape, and action (e.g. sports, dance...) photography. To be shot at multicultural festivals, concerts, sporting events and when travelling. And when at home (e.g. around family, local events...).

Thanks guys!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

Sigma does make an IS lens, they call it OS.
I think only 1 has it so far, the Sigma EX 80-400 OS

DrkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Peter,

As for what uses I would have for these lens...it would be for portrait, landscape, and action (e.g. sports, dance...) photography. To be shot at multicultural festivals, concerts, sporting events and when travelling. And when at home (e.g. around family, local events...).

Thanks guys!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:35 PM   #13
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
As a matter a fact most of my photography done these days is hand-held. So, when I do pickup my DSLR, I might still opt for a Canon IS lens. But not discounting Sigma.
So am I - Almost everyone take their picture handheld, the fact of the matter is 90% of the time you don't need IS. The time you need IS is more an exception than the norm...

In fact if you plan to shoot action (e.g. sports, dance...), IS is not going to help you at all - What you need there is a faster lens!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
As a matter a fact most of my photography done these days is hand-held. So, when I do pickup my DSLR, I might still opt for a Canon IS lens. But not discounting Sigma.
So am I - Almost everyone take their picture handheld, the fact of the matter is 90% of the time you don't need IS. The time you need IS is more an exception than the norm...

In fact if you plan to shoot action (e.g. sports, dance...), IS is not going to help you at all - What you need there is a faster lens!
Hey NHL,

I always (recently..since digital cameras became popular) thought even the slightest movement would be picked up without IS. Resulting in less than solid looking pictures. Some how along the way I managed to brainwash myself into thinking IS was a necessity. :G

I used to shoot with SLRs (e.g. Nikon FE, Nikkormat...haven't been into photography for the past 15 plus years). Obviously neither the cameras nor lenses at the time (80s) had IS. And I, along most others, still managed to get very sharp images. So you're probably right. Though, I suppose it's still better to have IS just in case. But, not if it means you can get a bertter quality lens without IS (Canon's 70-200 F4 vs. 70-200 F2.8 IS). On the other hand the 2.8 IS is a faster lens.

Peter,

Thanks man. I'll look into that model.


DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:22 AM   #15
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

I dunno about 24mm not being wide on a full frame camera. It's pretty wide IMO. Certainly the standard "wide-angle" lens in film days was regarded as a 28mm lens.

Of course 24-105 covers the normal and short telephoto designation too, but I think 24mm is certainly enough for most landscape work.


peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:44 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

Yes, true! :G
I guess we are getting spoiled by the availability of quality relatively cheep ultrawide rectalinier lenses. Like the 12-24, 15-30, 17-40 etc.
In the olden days lenses that wide were not easy or cheep to come by.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:10 PM   #17
Dam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 21
Default

Hi Dark.

You can see some shots made with Canon 5D + the lens above listed, almost all shots made later 8th may 2006 are with the 5D.

http://www.hispabase.com/galeria/index.php?cat=10018

Regards.
Dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

Dam wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dark.

You can see some shots made with Canon 5D + the lens above listed, almost all shots made later 8th may 2006 are with the 5D.

http://www.hispabase.com/galeria/index.php?cat=10018

Regards.
Hello Dam,

Some very nice pictures on your website. Though, the pictures of the "Gay Pride Day" was a bit hard on my eyes. Eeeeeeek!! I clicked on that group of pictures by mistake as my Spanish is more than a little weak.

Btw...you haven't mentioned why you chose the 2.8 IS over the 4L. Would you please explain?

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:16 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

If you can wait till November :-) Canon will have their new EF 70-200 F4 L IS out. :-)
Then you just need to decide on F2.8 or F4 :?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...lenses_pr.html

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Though, I suppose it's still better to have IS just in case. But, not if it means you can get a bertter quality lens without IS (Canon's 70-200 F4 vs. 70-200 F2.8 IS). On the other hand the 2.8 IS is a faster lens.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:23 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 774
Default

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
If you can wait till November :-) Canon will have their new EF 70-200 F4 L IS out. :-)
Then you just need to decide on F2.8 or F4 :?
DarkDTSHD wrote:[/b]
Quote:
Though, I suppose it's still better to have IS just in case. But, not if it means you can get a bertter quality lens without IS (Canon's 70-200 F4 vs. 70-200 F2.8 IS). On the other hand the 2.8 IS is a faster lens.
Hiya Peter,

NOVEMBER!!!??? The HORROR!!! Another two months??!! And I did hear the announcement of the IS version of the 4L. But during our postings I forgot about it. HEHE!

Love to see some one test both the 2.8IS and the upcoming 4.0IS. Currently, the 4L is said to have better performance than the 2.8IS. Is this true? I guess I'll have to take the word of the tester (don't ask me where I read this...heh) till I get my DSLR and test this out for myself.

Any how, thanks for the URL dood. For now I'll just have to wait for the next version of the 5D and the 1D MarkII-N to surface before I take the next step. Though who knows...when their replacements come out I might ened up just getting either of those two cameras but at a heavily discouinted price. (Shrugs) No hurry.... Meanwhile, back to my shooting pics and more pics...analyzing my pics, shooting more pics and more pics....

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:25 AM.