Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:53 AM   #1

I'm looking for a fairly cheap 300mm to shoot nephew's football games. nothing i'm going to sell, just for kicks

anyone know the specs of this lens? this is all the info that was listed at our local camerashop online.

tamron 75-300 af eos condition 8 $150
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:16 AM   #2

I think if you shop around online you can get it new for that price... I don't know anything about the quality of the lens though.
b94new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3

You may want to look at the new offering by Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2. Price should be about the same and its a DI model.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4

Hello, I have the Tamron 75-300 LD Macro. I think this is the Lens you are referring to. I got it used as well. I have not been disappointed with the quality. I just wanted a cheap big zoom lens. The only problem is the speed of it. It is slow to focus and needs a lot of light. This would make it nearly un-usable for sports. It it was ultrasonic then it would be okay on a bright day.

I still use it for portraits and like it a lot for the price I paid.

Bob
Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5

I don't know about the Tamron, but the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro gets great reviews for the price. Brand new is about $200...my brother-in-law got a used one for $105 shipped. Make sure you get the "APO" model, cuz there's another Sigma 70-300mmthat's just "DG Macro".

Review: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/70300s
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:59 AM   #6

all good suggestions, I will look into that Sigma! I *really* want the Sigma 70-200 2.8, but right now I just can't swing the $$$$$......:sad:So in the meantime trying to get something on the long end with the least cash possible.
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:11 AM   #7

ive used both the tamron and the sigma and personally i think the sigmas much better -- the Tamron came with my cam, and it only lasted a few monthes.. its not built very durable at all, and the movements seem slow to me. when the Tamron bit the dust {a fall of less than 20 inches} I purchased the sigma, and have been extremely pleased with it. i got mine for around $220 new.. in fact, i got it, another 2 lenses, {a tonkina af 19-35, & a sigma 18-50} and a few other things for under $700. For me, a serious amateur, these lenses are great i also have a tamron 28-80 but it honestly doesnt get used to much... anyway.. ive gotten way off track... to recap??i personally like the sigma better than tamron, better movement, better feel in my hands...

LMC
luvmycanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:03 PM   #8

I'll cast another vote for the Sigma 70-300 as long as your nephew is playing during daylight. If he's playing at night under the lights then don't waste your money - the lens won't cut it. If it's day games, the lens has very decent IQ for the price - it's a little slow to focus (it doesn't have HSM) - but you're not going to find anything better in that price point. The Canon 70-300 will focus faster (do to the USM) but that price jumps to $600. And, given the fact it still has only a 5.6 aperture I don't think you're getting enough since you identified this as a stop-gap solution until you can afford the 2.8

If you nephew does play night games - your only alternative to a 2.8 lens is a good external flash. You'll need the light and the focus assist beam. I have no idea, however, how this lens would perform focus speed wise if it required a focus assist beam.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote