Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:43 AM   #1

Dear all,

First of all, am a photo-beginner.
Just recently bought a 30D with the kit's EF-S 18-55 mm lens but am now thinking about buying a proper zoom lens. After reading a bit, am undecided among the four
following ( based on http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ ):

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

formiguinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:52 AM   #2

Before anyone can give you advice, you need to let us know what would be your main subject(s)...and whether you'd be shooting mainly indoors/outdoors.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:58 AM   #3

Ok, so *I think* I will essentially do:

outdoors/travel photography and really like to photograph people, their actions, basically walk-around-shots...

Is this info enough?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4

IMHO, 24mm is not wide enough for landscape shots on a 1.6x crop DSLR like the 30D, so this leaves you with the 17-55 IS and 17-85 IS. Since your subjects will most likely be outdoors / travel walk-around lens, you'll need that extra zoom that the 85mm will give you. So...from the list of lenses you gave, the best fit would be the 17-85mm IS.

If it were me though, for a single walk-around outdoor/travel lens, I'd pick the Sigma 18-200mm lens.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:28 PM   #5

Thanks!*But was thinking that in fact I don't think I will do much of landscape shots...so woudn't it be better to go for the L series + IS 24-105 mm?*thanks a lot
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:40 PM   #6

I would buy a sigma 18-50f2.8 or a Tamron 17-50f2.8 and spend the difference on a nice holiday.
These are optically in the same region as the canons although they don't have IS. IS is not hugely important at 50mm anyway, especially if you have f2.8 (though it is still nice to have). If you are making a living from your camera, need absolutely every last bit of image quality possible, use and abuse your lenses all day, everyday, can write off the cost, want to sell your lenses in three years to get a new set or are thinking of upgrading to a full-frame body in the near future, then get the canon Ls. Of course, if this is you then you would already know exactly what you need and wouldn't be posting here in the first place.
If you have the money, the 17-55IS is probably the best lens available for the 30D but for a hobby you would do better to spend the money on a flash, tripod, spare battery, filters, printer and a trip to somewhere where you can take nice photos instead.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:23 AM   #7

Thanks jacks.

Indeed I read very positive reviews about the canon EF-S 17-55 IS - and that is why I also listed it as an option - but I already have that range on the canon EF-S 18-55mm...I hear that this one is apparently just an OK lens...
So in fact I reckon I need a broader range now, hence the undecision in now between the EF-S 17-85 and the EF 24-105, I think...
But the EF-S 17-85 is half the price...I can afford the EF 24-105 but is it really worth it? One of the advantages is that it can be used in the film cameras right?
This would be a plus in case I become a photo-geek and will also want to get myself a film camera.

me confused

Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:22 AM   #8

You don't want a 24-xx on a 1.6 crop camera. That gives you a 38.4mm effective wide angle which just doesn't cut it.

You do want a 17-xx type lens. You can't beat the 17-55 IS except on price. You state that you already have a lens in that range except- your lens in that range isn't very good, and it isn't very fast- that's the reason you are looking to replace it. It probably would be wise to unload it once you have a new lens.

The 17-85 is a slower lens. As long as you are planning on using it only outdoors and in good light you'll be fine. I would also consider going to a 3rd party lens if you don't choose the 17-55 f/2.8 IS though.
RichNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:10 AM   #9

formiguinha wrote:
Quote:
Dear all,

First of all, am a photo-beginner.
Just recently bought a 30D with the kit's EF-S 18-55 mm lens but am now thinking about buying a proper zoom lens. After reading a bit, am undecided among the four
following ( based on http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ ):

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

You understanding which focal lengths you use will really narrow this decision down. For me, 24mm isn't wide enough on a 30D. Try this: Spend a day shooting with your 18-55, but don't let the zoom go past 24 to see how much you'd miss that wide end. Then also be aware of how often you're at 55mm withing you could zoom further. This would indicate you'd need more reach.

The 17-55 is the best lens available for the 30D, as it is fast, wide, and has IS. The 17-85 is also a good general-purpose lens, but as it doesn't have a fast aperture you're creativity is limited with a less pleasing blur (bokeh) for your backgrounds. This is because lenses with wider (ie faster) maximum apertures (f2.8 in this case) produce greater and smoother background blurs with more shallow depth of field. As your photography progresses, this mode advanced creative technique is something you should consider. This ability is one of the primary advantages that DSLRs have over consumer digicams.

Finally, remember this: Every lens decision is a tradeoff. You can have a fast lens, or one with great zoom range, or a more affordable lens. But you'll not find all of these traits in one. That's why we have interchangeable lenses: You choose the right lens for every particular shooting situaiton. Hop this helps,

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:36 AM   #10

Thanks for your advice, Chris.
I think I will give a go at your one-day-shooting exercise in order to figure out which lower-end suits me best.

Thanks!