Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

OK, I know they are both expensive but I have not found any direct comparion between the image quality of the Canon 70-200 2.8 zooms with and without IS.

I'm using a Canon 30D and having trouble at football games because of lighting with a 100-300 Canon USM lens. Either too dark or blured at all ISO ranges.

Does the quality suffer with IS?

Trying to decide on spending the extra 500-600.

TIA.
jackhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:47 AM   #2

Just some thoughts...

1. The IS has slightly lower image quality though you would only notice if you were doing strictly controlled tests.

2. IS is fairly useless for football as at the shutter speed you need to freeze the action there will be no camera shake anyway.

3. Sigma do a 70-200f2.8 for much less.

4. Is 200 going to be long enough for football? You won't be able to take cross-field shots of anything less than large groups of players at this length.

5. Is f2.8 going to be fast enough? Maybe not if you're talking night games and the lights are anything short of amazingly good.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:35 AM   #3

What ISO are you using, jackhays?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:06 AM   #4

OK, first let me qualify. I should have.

I'm actually taking pictures of the cheerleaders as my daughyter is a varsity cheerleader.

So they are closer than the action on the field.

I have tried all USO settings and get really close with my 28-105 3.5 after using the Canon 30D software. But they then wash out a little.

Maybe a suggestion on shutter speed and f stop would help? I usually run the camera in tv mode and try different shutter speeds. I'm still trying to adjust to the great camera that is smarter than me. I have also ran program mode, etc.

I used a Canon 100-300 4.0 at the F1 race this year the week after I purchased the camers and got some great shots close up in the turns but a lot of slightly blured shots so I'm trying to fill two bills here.

I have also thought of the 100-300 IS lens but thought the extra bucks for the 70-200 2.8 would be worth it in the long run?

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:57 AM   #5

jackhays wrote:
Quote:
OK, first let me qualify. I should have.

I'm actually taking pictures of the cheerleaders as my daughyter is a varsity cheerleader.
OK, completely different situation.

In this case, you're better served with a good external flash - end of story (assuming you want to put in the work to stay close to the cheerleaders and not just sit in the stands). The field lights don't reach the area where the cheer leaders are very well - they weren't designed to. They were designed to illuminate the playing field.

So, get a good flash (580ex, 430ex or Sigma 500 DG Super) and you'll get much better results than you would with even a 2.8 lens. And, you can keep the ISO at a very managable ISO 800.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:20 PM   #7

Agree with what JohnG said. Get the flash and a bracket if you can. You will need to be closer.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote