Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:32 PM   #1

is it ok store my lens in a vacuum box? the humidity is high here and a vacuum box would be the most cost effective way. might be bad if the lens is pressure sealed. what ur take on this?
ekek888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2

Where do you live that you have to keep your camer is a vacuum box?

BTW - What do you do with your TV? It's same kind of electronics, isn't it.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:14 AM   #3

i live in manila, philippines. the humidity when its the rainy season like now till dec, is around 80%. in summer when its very humid like miami stays around 70%. i can get a room dehumidifier buy cost a lot to run 24/7.
ekek888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:41 PM   #4

I had no problems with my 10d, 100-400L, 17-40, 50mm f1.8 for months at time in India. No problems in Singapore either. So don't worry too much and enjoy your cam.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:04 PM   #5

Here is the trick that I used to prevent moisture in my camera, lens - and it worked well in South East Asia, where the weather often with high humidity. I built a wooden box, big enough for my equipments plus enough room for a 5-volt light bulb, I made sure the box is seal pretty tight, after removed the film and battery out of the camera and put it in the box, depended on the humidity - I turn on the light for few hours and check the barometter I put inside the box, make sure it's dry.
Nowadays, you can buy the chemical bag that will absorb the moisture, and put inside the box instead of the light bulb.

Hope this will help.

QV

Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:59 PM   #6

you can just use a plastic bag with a desiccant canister inside when going from air conditioning to high humidity. keep your camera and lens in the bag until the temperature equalizes. This works going from hot to cold or cold to hot.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote