Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:15 PM   #1

I'm looking for a lens to try to take indoor portraits. Plus also looking for a fill in lens below 70mm for walk around shooting. I've been researching the following two lenses

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG macro

and

Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM

Review sites look pretty good for both. I'm having a hard time deciding. Does anyone have any feedback regarding which is considered a better lens? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:23 PM   #2

I don't think these 2 are very comparable in "Canon vs Sigma". The 2 lenses have different focal lengths and (more importantly) different apertures.

I haven't had any hands on experience with either lens, but I have been taking a lot of portrait photography. My main lenses are the sigma 30 f/1.4, canon ef 85 f/1.8, and the ef-s 17-85 IS.

The zoom lens is slow (f/4-5.6), therefore, it's very difficult to take low-light shots (even with IS and assuming my model doesn't move). But with significant light (daylight, flash, brightly lit up indoors), it's a very useful lens because of its zoom. In addition to the slow shutter speeds, the slow apertures also implies large Depth Of Field (area in focus). This means you are very likely to see something foreign in the background and it will be distracting (unless you're doing studio with backdrops). If you are not using a backdrop/blank wall, you HAVE to take this into account for indoor photography.

When I'm very serious about portrait photography (or if the condition demands it), I use my primes. The 85 for headshots, the 30 for body shots. Now I can take shots in low-lit areas and I get the awesomely thin DOF so everything in the background blurs.

If I were to compare the sigma prime vs the canon prime (which I shouldn't, but will anyway), I say the sigma misfocuses a lot if I try full body shots (the further away I am from my subject, the more likely it'll misfocus). This is probably due to the very thin DOF I mentioned earlier. the canon prime has a higher chance of focusing (but again, I only do head shots with it so the lens will have an easier time focusing on the facial contrast).

So, my suggestion is the sigma 24-70. The range is ideal for the whole range of portrait photography (full body to head shots), and the aperture is good for thin DOF/ higher shutter speeds. Plus you get semi macro capabilities if you ever get the urge to take pictures of bugs
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:44 PM   #3

Great info Boyfrmspc. it is appreciated. I'l definitely check out the other lenses you mentioned as well.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:22 AM   #4

See: Illuminating Canon/Sigma Lens Differences

Thoselenses are compared with samples.

SigmaSD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:57 PM   #5

great link thanks!