Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:12 AM   #1

Could someone tell me online where I can purchase the Canon 85mm 1.8 lens, for

a good price? I have checked a few sites, are they around 400.00?

Thanks!

Also is this a good lens to shoot volleyball and basketball?
lakeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2

I thought this lens cost about $300+ ???

Quote:

Also is this a good lens to shoot volleyball and basketball?

It should be good...the lens have a ring type U.S.M. focusing motor! (according to reviews, it is GOOD!)

I thinkCANON U.S.M.lenses and NIKON Silent Wave Motor S.W.M.lenses are the best of all!

I am not sure about SIGMA's H.S.M. HYPER SONIC MOTOR lenses...
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:52 PM   #3

B&H has it for about $350 - I think that's the best you can do. And, yes, it's an excellent lens for basketball - good for volleyball from the court, but if you're shooting from above (a populare approach for volleyball) it may be a bit short - but that's the sacrifice that must be made for gyms where you don't have enough light for say a 70-200 2.8 lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:11 PM   #4

I guess, I won't be right on the court, more in the bleachers, would the 70-200

be better?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:45 PM   #5

John just said there may not be enough light for the 70-200. There are other (more expensive) fast primes like the ef 100mm f/2 or the 135mm /f2L. In the worst case, you can "digital zoom" on a picture by cropping. I think that's better than a blurry picture from a slow shutter.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:23 PM   #6

lakeida wrote:
Quote:
I guess, I won't be right on the court, more in the bleachers, would the 70-200

be better?
I don't think so. Unless you're in a college arena, 2.8 isn't bright enough. If you are ina good college arena then this would be an option.

If not, then 2.8 won't be bright enough.

Now, when shooting at high ISO (1600, 3200) you don't want to be cropping much. You'll want your subject filling 2/3 of the frame. You just won't have as much image detail to get a large crop - like you would in good light at ISO 100 or 200 say. So, I guess what I'm saying is you aren't likely to get great results with the 85mm from the stands. Then you get into the expensive primes BoYFrMSpCwas talking about (135 2.0 for $900, 200 1.8 for $3450).

But, beyond that, there is the issue of what are the more interesting shots. Typically you want faces in a shot not the back of your player's head. So, if you shoot from the stands, you're limited to shots from the opposite side of the key anyway (which also means you need more reach). So, you've got some decisions to make.

The cheapest answer and the answer that will get you the best sports shots is to get on the floor behind the baseline. If you want to shoot from the stands you're going to spend a lot more money and have either very uninteresting shots or a lot less shots (because you only get shots coming from the opposite side of the key).

IMO, it's not worth spending that kind of money to shoot from the stands - but it's not my money
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:18 PM   #7

I've been shooting volleyball pictures at a YMCA gym. I use both my 85mm 1.8 and my sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. there is plenty of light in this gym for the 2.8 with my ISO set to 800 on my 20D I can get a 1/160 shutter speed. My 70-200mm is too long though, these are pretty small gyms. The bleachers only being 5 rows and only about 5 feet from court side.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:09 PM   #8

By the way, here are some sample shots of what the 85mm 1.8 can do for volleyball. I will claim that any problems with the photos is an issue of operator error (mine ) and not the problem of the lens...

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=82

By the way, be aware if you haven't used a lens with apertures this wide before it takes some getting used to - your margin for error on focusing is extremely slim. So, any time you're shooting at f2 you'll end up with more OOF shots than if you were using, say f4.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:55 PM   #9

John, these pictures are awesome!! Another question, how do you post your

pictures to this forum? I would like to share some volleyball pics I have taken.

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:56 PM   #10

Do you have any pictures you can share?

Thanks!