Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1

Hello,

I am an amateur photographer and I have a Canon XT with kit lens. I have no experience shooting weddings or people for that matter. I have taken a couple of classes and know how to shoot in various modes and also I like to shoot in raw format so that I can make changes later on. Next month my brother is having an engagement ceremony (the wedding is next year). As they are only exchanging rings my parents (who are paying for everything) want me to take pictures of the ceremony. Anything suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I probably need a better lens & a flash. What would you recommend? My budget is pretty tight. I might be able to spend around 500 total. The ceremony is going to be taking place in a reception hall. Around 100 people and as I am the brother I can make / brake any rules so flashes would beallowed. If I don't do this, my parents are going to have my uncle to do it. He has a Nikon D70 and only knows how to shoot in auto mode.

Thank you for all your help.

nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Make your uncle do it.

The pictures might not be quite as good, but everyone will hate him and not you.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:47 AM   #3

Quote:
The pictures might not be quite as good, but everyone will hate him and not you
Hahaha! Love it...good advice!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:17 AM   #4

i finally got through to my parents and convinced them to get a pro. I told them if it was that easy then they wouldn't be charging money for it.

Thanks for the advice, made me laugh.

nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

nv1983 wrote:
Quote:
i finally got through to my parents and convinced them to get a pro. I told them if it was that easy then they wouldn't be charging money for it.

Thanks for the advice, made me laugh.

Good. But, there's no reason why you can't practice at other events. You will definitely want to get an external flash - and preferably a flash bracket to go with it. Then practice at all the birthday, christmas parties etc. This way by the time the wedding comes you can take some great pictures - not as the pro - but a guest can get some wonderful shots of family and friends the pro wouldn't know to get. If you know what you're doing those shots could be a treasure. And the best part is - there's no pressure on you. So, while you rightfully escaped being the 'pro' for the ring ceremony, there's no reason why you shouldn't learn the art of on location flash photography.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I agree.

I was in the position a few months ago of being asked to do the shots for a wedding. I turned it down for a number of reasons, the main one being that if you are going to do it properly then it's a job not a happy family occasion.

I took a bunch of shots that I was quite happy with and some of which were just as good as the pro they hired. But the pro turned in a few hundred high quality shots and worked very hard all day.

I had about 20 keepers, and enjoyed my photography. So do take your camera along and have some fun, but with a pro there there will be no pressure on you.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote