Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:42 PM   #1

Last wednesday noticed AF wasn't working right on my 50mm 1.8. Searched and searched but couldn't lock, the right hand green dot in VF would flash, shutter would not actuate. Tried my 17-85 and worked fine. When I got home reset all custom functions, and 50mm worked ok again.

Over the weekend, I rented a 100-300mm and a 100mm 2.0. In the store, looked thru the 100mm with the store's 20d, and the AF didn't move the lens at all, but manual worked fine. I figured it was a custom function preference and went on my merry way. At the shoot Saturday, put the 100mm onmy 20D and the AF didn't work at all. Put 50mm on, same deal. Mind you I had used the 100-300's AF all morning at a football game and it worked great in one shot and servo modes. 17-85 did fine too. So for the time beingI just shot the 100mmin manual.Shooting a 3 year oldswinging on a swingset without AF ...ouch.

Next day, went to another shoot and put the 50mm on, AF worked fine. i hadn't done anything to the camera.

Today, took rented lenses back and mentioned the problem. He put the 100mm on a 5D in the storeand the AF didn't work for him either.

Do I need to send my camera in to B&H? Or do you think it was the lenses? I just want to prevent any more surprises.

Lynne

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:09 PM   #2

If it did the same thing on the in store camera that it did on yours, I would say it is not the camera. It may however be a camera setting. If you have it set toAI Servo sometimes the lens will hunt for focus, especially in low contrast shots, or if there are near and far objects that overlap, or extreme back lighting. I never use AI Servo for this reason, seems to never focus on what I want it to focus on, or doesn't focus at all.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:04 PM   #3

I hade the same prob 2 weeks ago. Canon wanted me to send the body in for repair, I did. They still have it. no news yet. It started like yours did. Then.

-rear lcd stopped funtioning

-top lcd stopped funtioning

-camera would funtion from time to time

less than a year old.

Rick

shutterthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:21 AM   #4

Rick, thanks for the heads up...Should I call Canon or B&H? I bought it in February '06. Have the 3 year warranty on it. This could be very bad timing, I have more shoots scheduled in October than the rest of the year combined....
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:07 PM   #5

I would call canon....wait I did! LOL...I'm nt laughing now though...Call'em
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:57 PM   #6

ok, when you first tried the 100mm in the store on their 20D the auto focus didn't work. The 100-300mm worked fine on your camera at the football game, but not the 100mm. When you took the lens back to the store they tried it on a 5D and no auto focus. This really doesn't sound like a camera problem to me, but a lens problem. Three different cameras, one of them yours, which worked fine with a different lens. and two different cameras at the store, and the lens did not auto focus on any of the three cameras.This says lens problem to me, not camera problem.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:34 AM   #7

They replaced the cmosand elecs controler for focus(digic)RH, warranty
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:33 AM   #8

shot for a few hours today and the camera seemed te be very fresh. Images are same as before..