Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:14 PM   #1

I got this lens a few weeks ago. At first, there weren't any problems. But as I used the lens more, I found it more difficult to get the MF to work. I now have to switch it from AF to MF a few times, before I can manually move the focus ring.

Anyone else run into this problem using this lens? Should I send it back to Canon, or is it not even worth it considering how inexpensive this lens is? Will they make me pay for shipping? :sad:

Thanks in advance.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:16 PM   #2

i can't help you (as I obviously am having my own problems with the same lens) but wanted to say I love your handle..."el duderino...if you're not into the whole, uh, brevity thing." :-)
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

Sounds like you may have got a bad copy. My works flawlessly, first time everytime. If you bought it new I would for sure be returning it. If you bought it used, maybe that is why they were selling it.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:40 PM   #4

this lens sometimes does give u the problem in AF too. In low light the lens searches or if u focus something plain like a white wall the lens seaches for a focus point and gets stuck sometime.

I manually sometime move the lens to get it to focus.

If its really causing too much trouble u may think abt fixing it.

If your used to it, and u can spend few extra seconds, i would think its part of the lens package and just go on.

But this lens sometimes drives u crazy.

When it was new it was working very well. But as time goes by the lens does let you know why its cheap.

The earlier version was metal and lot better.

On the brighter side, its a fantastic lens for the money. Some even feel the picture quality is almost similar to the much costlier 50mm F1.4

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5

I believe you are refering to general AF issues when talking about hunting in low light or blank walls. The dSLR base their focusing on contrast. In situations where there's low contrast (low light or uniform-coloured areas), then the camera (with any lens) will have issues focusing.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:26 AM   #6

Hey

I didnt mean the problem with focussing. When that happens this particular lens gets stuck trying to find a focus. And many times manually we need to relase it.

I was actually trying to tell him about, not the foucssing problem but the mechanical functioning of the lens.

Vj
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:26 AM   #7

Hey

I didnt mean the problem with focussing. When that happens this particular lens gets stuck trying to find a focus. And many times manually we need to relase it.

I was actually trying to tell him about, not the foucssing problem but the mechanical functioning of the lens.

Vj
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:30 AM   #8

Hello elduderino and nymphetamine
Quote:
I got this lens a few weeks ago. At first, there weren't any problems. But as I used the lens more, I found it more difficult to get the MF to work. I now have to switch it from AF to MF a few times, before I can manually move the focus ring.

Anyone else run into this problem using this lens? Should I send it back to Canon, or is it not even worth it considering how inexpensive this lens is? Will they make me pay for shipping? :sad:

Thanks in advance.
I had EXACTLY the same problem with my first version of this lens.... getting stuck (usually near the "macro focusing point" of the lens when searching for focus.

I had the lens replaced (mainly because I thought my lens was front focussing... but in the end I discovered it was a slight focus-misalignment of my camera, which is now fixed). My 2nd copy of this lens is better. Focus seems more reliable and I have only once or twice had that "stuck in a focus spot" problem, (which, when it happens Iresort to manual focus, move the focus ring and try again). So I'm glad I changed the lens!

Anywaygenerally I find the focus of this lens (both copies) not to be as "strong", accurate or consistent as my other lenses (particularly my 2 Canon USM lenses, the 28-135mm and 100-300mm lenses). I had taken my first copy of this lens back to the shop in the UK I had bought it from, they were obliging seeing as I live in Romania, and I wasn't in the UK long enough for Canon to repair / return it in time I was staying in the UK.

However I still love this lens for it's versatility (low light, sharpnessand portrait possibilities!) yesterday I did some photos at a Karate competition, and the lens again proved useful (not all shots were in focus as I wanted, but that's understandable... I'm not a pro sports shooter anyway!)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:56 PM   #9

I think it is a sticky AF-MF switch. I have the opposite problem going back to AF from MF. I find that I have to turn the manual focus ring slightly until the switch slides back into AF. It feels like some gears engaging in a car's manual transmission.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote