Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:35 AM   #1

I have 4 or 5 existing ef lenses and I am considerng buying a 350 or 400 slr. Any feedback regarding these lenses on the new cameras would be appreciated.
teleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:31 AM   #2

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=50
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:15 PM   #3

Thanks for responding. I should have asked if anyone has had any problems with ef lenses such as focusing or any other problems. The reason I ask is that I went to Ritz Camera with some of my ef lenses and tried them on two of their cameras and I brought my cf card with me. When I got home, all of the pictures were slightly out of focus. I asked the person behind the counter to take some of the pictures and they were also out of focus.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 4:45 PM   #4

Which EF lenses do you have? I'm thinking any EF lens should work fine...the out of focus stuff you experienced is probably due to user error...perhaps hand shake?
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:28 AM   #5

Just to name a few I have a 35-135 ultrasonic and a 75-300 ultrasonic. The reason I asked the person behind the counter to take some of the shots was because I thought the problem was with me. I have been using a Nikon 5700 for about 3 years and have not had a problem with camera shake. By the way I made two different trips to the store and they both turned out the same way. Do you think the demo modeks(2) could have been defective?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:28 AM   #6

A question is what were the settings.
There is usually not a lot of light in a store, and the camera may have had the lenses wide open and still ended up with a very long shutter.

I have a 75-300usmII f4-5.6 and a 100-300usm f4-5.6 and a ancient 100-300 F4 L.
They all work OK on the canon digitals.
The 100-300 F4 L is the worst of the bunch, but it was bad on film cameras too :-)

Next trip to a store check what the camera ISO is and set it to a high ISO,
then try changing the exposure settings so you are getting a faster handholdable shutter speed. Or try out one of their tripods in the store :idea:

The older full frame lenses actually tend to be better on the new small sensored dslrs than they were on the old film cameras, because you are only using the center of its limage circle which tends to be the sweet spot for most lenses.

I have a nikon 5400 and the physical lens on it is only about 5mm-20mm which is very short and easy to handhold, quite a big jump to a 75-300.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:20 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure the camera was set on the auto program mode. I will try your idea and see if that corrects the problem. Thanks for the good information.