Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:23 PM   #1

I bought the Canon EF 75-300mm III USM lens yesterday to use on my upcoming vacation. I decided to give it a quick test taking pictures of my parrots. Have to say I'm disappointed in it's performance. The autofocused refused to lock on my African Grey most of the time. Not sure if it's because he's a small target, because he's so dark, or because there's a problem with the lens. It kept trying to focus and firing the focus assist light. It did somewhat better with my Greenwing Macaw (bigger target? Lighter color?) but the mechanism sounded a bit rough both when using auto focus and when zooming.

Does this sound normal to those of you who have this lens? I'm contemplating taking it back and exchanging for another lens to see if that makes a difference but if this is just the way it operates, I may just return it.

Thanks,

Mark
ScubaDachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:06 AM   #2

Scuba....
I have had the 75-300 for quite a while and have used it by itself and with a 1.4x converter...I shoot alot of nature and surfing shots and have had good success with it...Its not the best lens out there but does a good job...I have also had the problem of finding focus on distant objects at times, especially with the converter...Try setting your camera to the center focus area only and keep your subject in the center circle...This has worked for me pretty well...Good luck...
:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:28 AM   #3

I had it set on the center spot and it was still having problems. I think I was just asking too much of the lens given the lighting conditions. I'm going to try it outdoors today and see if it does any better. If not, then I'll take it back and have to save up for something a bit better. Thanks for the reply.

ScubaDacshund
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:40 AM   #4

The camera needs both enough light and contrast to achieve focus.
If your room was dim or the subject was a similar shade to the background the AF system will have troubles.

During a normal day my 75-300 usm -II on a 20D will work fine in a bright window lit room. It will hunt and miss like crazey in a not so bright place like a church.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:15 PM   #5

Ok, tried it outside in bright light and still didn't like it. It was a hassle to use and the results were not satisfactory so I decided to return the lens. I can't afford L series glass so what lens would you recommend in this focal range for under $500 (more or less)?

Mark
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:44 PM   #6

There is the Canon 100-300 USM F4-5.6 for around 279$ at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Or the Sigma 100-300 F4 is excellent, but that one is quite expensive at almost double your budget :sad: .
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 5:31 PM   #7

the Sigma version of the 75-300mmI've heard is a bit better than the Canon, although I don't know first hand because I have neither lens. I do have the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which is a fantastic lens compairable to the Canon L, but still a little out of your price range, but you may be able to find the older, non DGmacro version, which is the one I have, for a good price. The new version is about $800 or $900.

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:58 PM   #8

Decided to go with the 70-200mm/f4L. Can get for under $600. Should only have to save for another 3 o 4 months to get it.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:35 PM   #9

My brother-in-law bought a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro. He's pleased with the IQ. I tried it out myself, and found the IQ to be much better than my old Canon 75-300mm IS USM lens.

This is the Sigma at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Here's a review of this lens against the more expensive Canon 70-xxx lenses: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/70300s

If you decide to get this lens, make sure you get the one with the "APO" in its name. Sigma has two versions of this lens, the "APO" is the good one.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote