Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:31 PM   #1

I have had this lense now for about 2 months and still cant really get to grips with it, my main photography is wildlife and bird photography, and alot of in flight shots, and i usually use the 70-200L but wanted to get something to get closer to my subject,but in my budget ,and i am finding my images to be mostly out of focus and with a high appearance of noise, my settings are usually AV, ISO mainly at 200, and when i look through the viewfinder and use the focus ring the subject looks in focus to me, someone suggested checking the dioptics and that seems fine to me.

I am getting this at anything from 300mm upwards, my camera is set on Alservo and continuous shooting mode and i use the lenseon both the 20D and MKllN. I have recently started using my monopod to see if this helps, but i have'nt noticed any great difference, is this purely down to camera movement, or am i missing something? Any advice on this would be great.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:05 PM   #2

I think it's becasue you're using the AV setting and ISO 200 and the camera is choosing a shutter speed for proper exposure.I don't think that's going to get you decent (sharp) photos of birds in flight. That's a big dilemma, because if you set the shutter to the desired speed you don't have control over the depth of field. NHL has this lens and he gets some great photos. I know he also brought a Sigma 120 - 300 2.8 (probaly to get better boken, etc.

Try using the TV setting at 1/600 (sub full frame)and bump the ISO to 400, also set the IS to panning mode. If someone who has this lens offers advice, try their approach.

Luck!
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:56 AM   #3
NHL

wsandman1 is correct try to use Tv at higher shutter speed (by increasing the ISO) if you suspect camera movement - The IS in the 100-400L is not going to help with moving subject if the shutter speed selected by the camera in Av is going down to less than the 1/focal lenght

If you still have problem try to switch to one-shot AF instead of AI-servo. There's a long thread discussion over here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...616972#p616972
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:27 PM   #4

Wow! thanks for your help and advice WSandman1 and NHL and thanks for the thread link, it has loads of information that i can work on and i now feel i have something to aim at. I have also learned alot from this thread regarding my new MKllN which i was starting to give up on, i always use the 45 focus point, thinking this will be best for birds in flight, often small birds, so there alone there is food for thought on the 1 focus point method.

Thanks once again.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:18 AM   #5

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
I think it's becasue you're using the AV setting and ISO 200 and the camera is choosing a shutter speed for proper exposure.I don't think that's going to get you decent (sharp) photos of birds in flight.
Why is that? If light is good to get get ss of say 1/600sec like you say, whether you use Av mode or Tv mode shouldn't make any difference. For flight shots, I keep my ss higher say at 1/1000sec. And I always shoot in Av mode as I can control DOF the way I want it. Bump ISO to keep ss high enough for your situation.

To OP - Have you tried taking some shots of stationary objects without using AI Servo mode. Use tripod to rule out camera shake. I have same lens and it gives me very sharp pictures, just a notch below my 400mm f5.6 prime lens. Post some of your example shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:25 AM   #6

Here are some shots with this lens, All in AI servo mode on 10d which is a dog compared to your 1dmk2. I would suggets you work on your technique.

At SS of 1/800

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:27 PM   #7

Thanks bobbyz for your comments and advice, and you have proved a point, as your pictures are stunning, the sayiing is true "never blame your tools",can you tell me what ISO you used for these shots? and using AV howhigh ISO would you go before worrying about noise, (if light is really bad for example)? was there any post processing to these images, as i still find mine to be quite soft at the 350-400mm end.

I have used the MKllN along with the 100-400L consistantly for the past few days, and i think i have clinched it!, i feel much more confident with the camera, and the lense has produced good shots (mainly dogs in action as thats my work), but i do find that i have no trouble with larger subjects, just small ones ie small birds in flight, but as you say i am going to have to work on technique.

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8

All are at ISO 200 except 2nd one which is at ISO400. Noise should not be an issue with even at higher ISOs if your exposure is right.

BTW - If you looking for great flight lens then you should look at 400mm f5.6 prime. It is light, AF is very fast and you can shoot wide open at f5.6.

For 100-400L, I need to shoot at f6.3 or f7.1 as it is bit soft at f5.6. My copy is sharp at 400mm but I have heard other folks complain about softness at 400mm. You should post some of your shots so we can judge how soft it is.

Here is 100% crop from my zoom without any pp. Shot is RAW using tripod & timer. No sharpening at all, not even during RAW conversion.

Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9

Your making things look more and more towards the fact that i just have'nt got things right my end, either with the lense or the camera! i have posted an image taken purely because it has other objects in the frame, feeders, birds in different parts of image, my aim is to get the bird in flight sharper, and this is what i am aiming at (focusing on),this image has no pp apart from cropping down slightly and resize, shot in Jpeg,but this is a prime example of what i am getting in this situation, and i do like photographing little birds,everything elseseems clear (birds on line, feeder that is empty. I have obviously got major focusing probs. (colours are'nt right either) TV. f5.6 ISO 400 1/500 @ 350mm.

The 2nd image is of a Jay taken in raw but i have done some pp to it but i just wanted to point out the noise in the picture, but i read alot that noise is very little at SS under 800, this was taken at 400 on a very overcast day, but its a common occurence in my shots.

I hope these are ok as examples, perhaps a little bigger would of been better?
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:31 AM   #10

Jay
Attached Images