Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:10 PM   #1

I am buying a Canon D30 for my wife.* She will use it for portraits and some telephoto shots of sailing regattas.* Which lens is a must have and what is the difference between the 75-300 and the 70-300 lens.* The price difference is amazing.
sgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:17 PM   #2

D30? I suspect you mean the EOS 30D.

In general, you get what you pay for in the lens market. There are some exceptions, of course (e.g. the EF 50 MK2 f-1.8 at around $70). If you're looking for "a lens", you'll be dissapointed. One of the best part about DSLRs is the ability to change lenses. It's also the thing that makes this hobby so expensive.

I have an EOS 20D. The first lens I bought was the EF-S 17-85 IS. It's on my camera 90% of the time. I also have the Canon EF 70-200 L f/4. It produces amazing color. I also own the EF-50 mentioned above.

You're not going to get by with one lens. Start off getting one that produces good results over a fairly wide range ("walk-around" lens) then go on from there. The kit lenses are OK and great to learn with. They are inexpensive, but not of the best quality. Lenses with very wide ranges don't generally do as well as ones with less range.

Starting out, consider the kit lens. Once you (and she) are getting good results, try the cheap EF-50. For regattas, the EF 70-200 f/4L is a good choice. I use that lens with an inexpensive 1.4 extender (with a tripod) with good results.

Remember the 30D has a 1.6X crop factor, so the camera will deal with a 50mm lens like an 80mm on a 35mm camera. This acts lile bigger zoom.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:28 PM   #3

Thanks!!* I was planning on buying the kit plus one more telephoto lens, but now I think I might just get the body and put out the extra $$ on two good ones.* Thanks again.
sgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote