Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:24 PM   #1

OK, this is for the folks that have been in SLR and/or DSLR photography for a while. Do you think this trend is good or bad from a PHOTOGRAPHY standpoint - not from a business standpoint...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...#tamron_18-250
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:55 PM   #2

Honestly looks good. On the greedy side i would like to have a 18-250 F2.8 throughout.

The range is absolutely great for almost most of the situations.

My opinion to the question- Its a really good trend. having one lens cover a wide range is always better to avoid the unneccessary changing of lens, dust etc. With such a carry on lens one can be happy to carry the least on any trip and be happy clikcing

the trend can bring out a 17-250 F2.8 L lens which will be good for Business as well as for photography.

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion

vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:22 PM   #3
Administrator

Good. Of course, we don't know if the lens is going to be very sharp or not, since it isn't shipping.

But, I've been surprised at how many DSLR users have liked similar lenses (for example, the Tamron 28-300mm XR model lenses seem to be well liked by most KM shooters I've seen comment on it, even though it may not be sharp compared to many other lenses).

I think the trend is good because it allows more shooters using "Ultra Zoom" cameras to be more comfortable making the switch to a DSLR.

Everyone doesn't need a bright zoom for the types of conditions they shoot in, and not everyone prints at larger sizes and needs to extract the best quality, either. So, this type of lens offers a lot of flexibility for many users.

From a recent thread:

Quote:
The Tamron's 18-250 looks great. With this lens I won't miss the 35-420mm from my FZ-30.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...612832#p612832

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:04 PM   #4
NHL

IMO it's a great vacation (for a person who already has a bag full of optics) lens!
Now couple this with a body(small) with built-in IS then what else can you ask for (i.e. 28-400mm)??? :-)
--> I'll even add a macro function to it... :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

I also think it is a good trend, lenes designed for APS-C sensors, and also being a 3rd party lens maker. Only breads more compition from other lens makers, and compition is very good for the consumer.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion - nymphetamine

Not too fast Nymp. ! I would trade my mama for a Canon 18-250mm F2.8 L IS lens
anytime....:lol:. Dear God, please let the 'bad' trend begin - soon.:-) Oops! am I too greedy ?
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:13 AM   #7
NHL

Not the same thing is it? http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm

... and this is not even an f/2.8 yet, IMO it defeats the purpose of having a nice and small vacation lens
-> Might as well carry the real thing! :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:00 AM   #8

Well, just to add controversy, I'll say it almost defeats the whole purpose of having a dslr.

Lets ask ourselves why anyone would want a highly general lens? smaller... lighter to carry around... don't have to swap lenses...

Then get a high-zoom point and shoot! It's smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, and is very capable of producing quality pictures. With a large general zoom lens (with current technogy), the advantages of the dslr shrink. The only real advantage I could see is the noise performance, dynamic range, speed, buffer, and (what I think might be the most important) the wide-angle of 28mm equiv vs. ~35mm for most p&s.

To top it off, high zoom lenses have a tendency to display bad IQ... The camera can only be as good as the lens... Then how will you take advantage of the dSLR's huge sensor? The sharpness on this 14x zoom will probably dissapoint. We've seen this happen with the 18-200.

If I was the one designing zooms, I wouldn't DARE make a 14x zoom until I could build a superior 11x zoom (in a small body). I think zooms are as overrated as the MP count. One of the first things my friends ask me (and aren't too familiar with cameras) is the zoom... They think the bigger the better! If you have newcomers trying dSLRs... They'll probably think the 14x must be a piece of glass from heaven. And then they try it out and wonder why the dSLR performs worse than their much cheaper p&s.

but in the end...tamron... stop skipping steps and get the 11x zoom right...

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 6:16 AM   #9

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
Then get a high-zoom point and shoot! It's smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, and is very capable of producing quality pictures. With a large general zoom lens (with current technogy), the advantages of the dslr shrink. The only real advantage I could see is the noise performance, dynamic range, speed, buffer, and (what I think might be the most important) the wide-angle of 28mm equiv vs. ~35mm for most p&s.
Let's not forget DOF. I see a whole lot of post here from p&s owners wondering why they can't get that nice blured background.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote