Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2003, 3:07 PM   #1

Default Another Canon 10D lens question...have a list to choose from

First and foremost...I am extremely green to digital photography. I've always used a canon rebel 35 mm film camera and used it on the "auto" setting with results that I was more than happy with. I started into digital photography with a Canon S10 camera, and was happy with it until I got frustrated with the poor low light or action shots.

So I lept in head first and purchased the canon 10D digital camera. The salesman I purchased the camera from told me I'd be able to use my existing lens from my canon 35 mm film camera (a canon 35-80 mm, and a sigma 80-300 mm--I could be off on the numbers a bit).

I've been happy with the quality of photo's I've got using these lens with the new Canon 10 (except now the pictures are actually too bright sometimes...what a change from the Canon S-10). However, I am having some problems that I'd like to alleviate by getting a new lens. Like I said, sometimes the pictures turn out over-bright. This happens during bright daylight when the subjects are facing the sun or even indoors sometimes. However, the main problem I'm having is that the wide angle using the digital camera isn't nearly as wide as it was when I'm using the same lens in my canon rebel 35 mm film camera. After doing some research, I've learned that there is a 1.6 ratio difference. I'm guessing the 24 mm lens is a good starting point, but would the 28 mm be ok?

So now I'm basically looking for a lens that would give me the same user experience as the lens I used for the canon rebel 35 mm film camera. I have read many postings on this forum about choosing a lens for the Canon 10D, and while they have been informative, I am still torn about which lens to purchase. I will be using the camera for a variety of purposes. Indoor-low light, Indoor sporting events, and outdoor shots, and outdoor sporting events.

My budget tops out around $800, but was hoping to keep it under $500.

Here's a list that I narrowed it down to:

Quantaray - Tech-10 28-105mm F4-5.6 Zoom Lens for Canon EOS --$149

Canon - 17-40mm F4 L USM EF Lens - NEW $799.99

Canon - 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM EF Lens $499

Canon - 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM EF Lens $409

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Image Stabilized $579

Quantaray - 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 Autofocus Zoom Lens for Canon $199

Sigma - 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX HSM lens for Canon AF $439

Sigma - 20-40mm F2.8 EX DG Lens for Canon AF $599

Tamron - 24-135mm AF For Canon $399.95

Thanks for any advice. I don't even know what the damn F numbers mean...are they important?

lw
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2003, 4:25 PM   #2
NHL

Normally large f-stop(smaller number) is used to decrease the depht of field, but is not so much critical with wide-angle since they have a large DOF already...The smaller the f-number, the brighter the lens will be, so in this case, it'll allow you to shoot at higher shutter speed. This is critical for shooting under available light especially low-light indoors (churches, etc), and also would cost more as well since the optics are larger (and heavier)!

I have the Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX HSM and this is also ultrasonic so its extremely fast and quiet; However, it takes a huge 82mm front filter so watch out for the time that you have to buy that polarizer! BTW Sigma has an excellent 15-30mm, but this lens is not ultrasonic so unless you're a Nikon fan I would recommend against it (beside it can't take a front filter!)

If you're considering a 24mm which is not much of a wide angle, there's a $30 rebate on this lens making it about $230-240, a convenient secondary lens:
http://www.vividlight.com/articles/910.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:37 PM   #3

I have no direct experience with the lenses you mention. There are one or two that I have read something about.

This lens:
Quantaray - 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 Autofocus Zoom Lens for Canon $199

I have read nothing but bad things about it. Lots of Chromatic aboration, very soft in the corners. Stay away.

Canon - 17-40mm F4 L USM EF Lens - NEW $799.99
I've read good things about this one, except for its cost.

You did not include this lens:
Tokina 19-35 F3.5-4.5
I have a friend who likes it a lot (semi-pro.) The trick is that there is an older model which is also labled "Tokina" but is actually the Quantaray I commented on above. But if you get the real Tokina version, then you are in luck. There has also been some talk about this on the fourms at dpreview.com (all favorable.) Several people ordered it from bhphoto.com and each got the "good" version.[/list]
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 5:55 PM   #4
NHL

BTW Tokina lenses are actually manufactured by Hoya of filter frame, so guys/gals who use B+W or Heliopan as their UV/Skylight can complain otherwise... :P :P :P
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the help and for explaining the f-stop numbers. Still torn about which lens to buy.

NHL, with the Sigma lens you mentioned, what do you mean by a 82 mm filter? Do I have to add a filter to the sigma lens to be able to use it? What is a polorizer?

Thanks again.

lw
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:24 AM   #6
NHL

You do not have to add any filter, but eventually the front element will get dusty/dirty therefore you'll need to clean it up, and repeat rubbing will eventually scratch it. So one ends up protecting the lens with a UV or skylight filter. Personally I used a KR1.5 to warm up my pictures... 8)

A polarizer is absolutely required with any water shots to reduce reflection as well as enhancing the sky at the beaches... the problem is a wide angle already has a big front element couple this with a large f2.8 aperture result in a huge 82mm front filter! At this size they are both rare to find and expensive, especially for a slim one for that wide-angle (or you'll be vignetting). This 17-35mm lens is massive, the barrel is almost 3.5" in diameter :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW this is also where the f2.8 helps since a polarizer would cut off a couple of f-stop from the lens opening (ie with a slower lens you might have a hard time adjusting that polarizer!) :P :P :P
Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:34 PM   #7

I have the Canon 20-35 f/3.5-4.5. B&H sells it for $370, a bit cheaper than what you list. It has a 77mm front which will cost you $30 for a UV filter and $80 for a decent polarizer filter (ouch). On a 10D this lens effectively translates into a 32-56mm lens. I almost bought the sigma 17-35 EX lens, but I read that the quality of that lens is variable. You might have to return a few before you get a good one (but if you do, people are happy with it). BTW, if you get a wide angle like this, get a hood with it too.

Two other lenses people seem to like which don't break the bank (do a search on dpreview.com) are the Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 ($220) and Canon 28-135 IS ($400). I just ordered the 28-105, it is a lot lighter than the 28-135 IS, and it has a 58mm instead of a 72mm front. I'm going to use it as my standard walkaround lens.

Barthold

PS In the back of the 10D manual you'll find a nice and easy explanation of DOF.
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:12 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
BTW, if you get a wide angle like this, get a hood with it too.
The Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 EX comes with a custom shaped hood (and a nice fitted case)!

BTW I did find a slim line 82mm B+W polarizer for this lens from Adorama for only $129, it comes with it own lens cap which is quite nice so you can screw down the filter with the cap on as a filter holder and then peel it off as you're ready to shoot... 8)
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:52 PM   #9

My vote goes for the Canon 17-40 4.0 L lens. I have been using it on my 10 D for several weeks now and I love it. With the 1.6x factor it comes out to being about a 28-70 comparable lens...which is a great range for many shooting situations.
garybermanphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:11 PM   #10

Walker you can buy the 17-40 from B & H for $689.95 and then send in the rebate form and get back $40. That makes the price $649.95. I am getting mine tomorrow after much research that indicates it is a great lens.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote