Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:51 PM   #1

These are the most versatile lens , sharp and fast... which one would you choose for sports, landscape and taking pictures of people.

EF S 17-55mm/2.8 IS and EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
ants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:41 PM   #2

For people and sports you need to provide more details

Sports: what specific sports (different sports require different types of lenses)- and are they indoors or out?

People: what kind of shots - family or portrait - if portrait, full body or head shots?

As for landscape, the 17-55 is a better focal length, but you don't typically need 2.8 for landscape shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:05 AM   #3
spy

John is right. We need more "sports" detail. As he and I are sports photographers, we both use lenses with reach from 200mm to 400mm +. You will find us on the side lines at sporting events shooting into the action where it's all happening. The focal length your asking about, like 55mm or 70mm if sitting in the stands with everyone else will give you a shot of most of the field, gymor swimming pool even zoomed in. At that focal length you will need to be as close as 10 feet or soaway if your wanting a body shot of the individual athlete.

If your wanting a good walk about lens, go for the 17 - 85mm 4 - 5.6. If your wanting to have lenses more specific to landscape, sports and portrait, your probably best to get at least two different lenses.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:54 AM   #4

spy wrote:
Quote:
John is right. We need more "sports" detail. As he and I are sports photographers, we both use lenses with reach from 200mm to 400mm +. You will find us on the side lines at sporting events shooting into the action where it's all happening. The focal length your asking about, like 55mm or 70mm if sitting in the stands with everyone else will give you a shot of most of the field, gymor swimming pool even zoomed in. At that focal length you will need to be as close as 10 feet or soaway if your wanting a body shot of the individual athlete.

If your wanting a good walk about lens, go for the 17 - 85mm 4 - 5.6. If your wanting to have lenses more specific to landscape, sports and portrait, your probably best to get at least two different lenses.

great topic. just out of interest, what types of sporting events do you and john typically cover? and just for kicks, what type of equip/lenses do you use most frequently when covering these events.thanks!

http://www.fotop.net/dave
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:44 AM   #5

I'll let spy speak for himself. For me, the sport varies by season:

Baseball / softball in spring & summer.

Football, soccer and Volleyball in the spring

Basketball in winter (although I may do some wrestling this year as well).

I've also done some gymnastics and martial arts shooting as well.

I typically shoot High School and lower.

You can view the various sports I shoot on my website:

http://www.jagsportsphotos.com

There are public galleries out there for every sport I've mentioned above.

edit:

forgot your other question - I shoot with a Canon 20d. The lens used is dependent upon the sport but is typically one of the following (for sports):

Sigma 120-300 2.8

Sigma 70-200 2.8

Canon 85mm 1.8

Canon 50mm 1.8
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:08 AM   #6

thanks, John! great shots too. i love some of the pics from the bridgestone. the portraits of jason gore and miguel jiminez are so in character, particularly the latter with his stogie. and i really like the follow-through poses you have of angel cabrera, rory sabitini and especially the one where padraig harrington has a bit of turf stuck to his wedge!

Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:32 PM   #7

Dave,

Thanks. I had forgotten about the Bridgestone photos. That was a lot of fun. I may have to do the same thing next year - except next year I'd shoot the 2nd day of practice. Cameras aren't allowed during the tournament (and seeing how idiots behave I can't blame the tournament) so practice rounds are the only time to shoot the pros there. The added benefit is the crowds are much smaller so I can get access to greens and tee boxes.

I agree about Jiminez and Gore. I didn't take any time to talk to them, but they showed some real character - which I like. Golf needs more characters - I miss some of the older guys - Zoeller, Chi-Chi, Travino, etc - they had character. Players like Love, Singh, etc are just boring people. Great golfers, just not interesting.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8
spy

Quote:
great topic. just out of interest, what types of sporting events do you and john typically cover? and just for kicks, what type of equip/lenses do you use most frequently when covering these events.thanks!

My sport of choice is swimming only because my kidsarecompetitive swimmers and have beenfor the past 7 years. I have also covered a couple triathlon races as I was asked to shoot for one competitor.

My equipment is the Canon 20d, 580ex speedlite and have used several different zoom lenses, Canon 70 - 200 2.8, Canon 100 - 400 4 - 5.6,and the amazing sigma 120 - 300 2.8.

I have used the 100 - 400 4 - 5.6 in a well litindoor pool as well as usedit for the triathlon meets and find itwork quite nicely. If I was to choose between this lens or the sigma 120 - 300, I'd choose the sigma 'hands down' as the best lens, no comparison.

The 70 - 200 is a very good lens too, however the only down fall with shooting across 6 to 8 swimming lanes is that I have to run around to the other side to get close shots. This lens really works best from lane 1 to 4. For lanes 5 - 8, ...run around to other side.:roll:

I have another swim meet to shoot this weekend and will use the 70 - 200 for this one and will also try the 1.4 teleconverter. You can see some shots here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

and here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...eat+triathlete

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:01 AM   #9

those are perhaps the best photos of a swim meet i've seen. i'm especially impressed with the one you posted on Nov 7th, 2006 10:43 pm. the swimmer at the peak of her butterfly stroke is a thing of beauty. and you're right, your sigma takes some really fantastic shots. good stuff! thanks.

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:11 AM   #10
spy

Thank you Dave. I very much enjoyed looking at your photos. You have an incredible eye and great style.