Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

I just bought the 70-300mm IS non DO lens. It should be delivered today or tomorrow...

I know this question is probably been asked hundred time before so forgive me for asking it again. Can someone point me to testing methodfor checking the portrait mode problem on it. I am counting on getting the new update lens with no problems but want to make sure. I will be using it on my 30D.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:24 PM   #2

I read it somewhere...set your lens at 300mm w/ IS turned on. Take a shot in landscape, then orient your camera sideways, ie in portrait, then take the same shot. Ifportrait orientation's IQis the same as landscape, then you don't have the portrait problem.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:34 AM   #3

Harana

A member on this forum Justin Hancock has been looking into this and posted an informative thread about it.

check it out here... http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I read it somewhere...set your lens at 300mm w/ IS turned on. Take a shot in landscape, then orient your camera sideways, ie in portrait, then take the same shot. Ifportrait orientation's IQis the same as landscape, then you don't have the portrait problem.
I received mylens yesterday...

I will be testing it tomorrow. Based on your input I am thinking of setting the lens on the tripod, set at 300mm with IS mode on, wide open and take picture pairsin landscape and portrait modes to compare the IQ. Is that correct? It has two IS modes so which mode?

Now how do you check the IQ? Just eyeballing is good enough or there is more involved and accuratemethod in here?

Paul, Thanks for your input and my lens has "3" in the third digit in the serial number. According to Canon this is a new version lens and should be problem free..
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:56 PM   #5

No mean to disrespect, but I've always been under the impression that using such a long telephoto lens without having much capability of keeping a shallow depth of field makes for poor portraits.... in most situations.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:05 AM   #6

harana wrote:
Quote:
Now how do you check the IQ? Just eyeballing is good enough or there is more involved and accuratemethod in here?

Paul, Thanks for your input and my lens has "3" in the third digit in the serial number. According to Canon this is a new version lens and should be problem free..
Harana,

Glad to be of help / some input.

About "checking the IQ"... if you do some "home made tests" (try both on tripod (IS off) as well as handheld) focussing on a brick wall, some text / books (from a distance) in both landscape and then portrait that should help you see. Apparently it is usually quite obvious if you do a few of these tests to see the difference comparing landscape to portrait orientation.

But as your lens has "3" in the third digit, it seems like you should be ok. I'm glad for you. Are you happy with the lens?

Paul

Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:38 AM   #7

Andrew LB wrote:
Quote:
No mean to disrespect, but I've always been under the impression that using such a long telephoto lens without having much capability of keeping a shallow depth of field makes for poor portraits.... in most situations.

Andrew,

Maybe I don't understand what you mean (what you wrote) or maybe you don't understand the issue I think harana was asking about. Firstly "portrait" in this case meansthe orientation of the lens (that is that it is behind held 90 degrees to the horizon). So the photo looks taller (rather than wider). That is long end up!

Obviously this is the orientation that most "people portraits" are done. (hence maybe some confusion).

I think you're right that without a shallow depth of field, often people portraits are poor (too much distracting/ in-focus background). (except in a studio where lighting and backdrops can be used).

But for outdoor portraits, a long telephoto zoom lens often are ideal, as even with a "slow" aperture of f5.6, say at 200mm or 300mm, one can get a pleasing bokeh (good background blur) if the subject is not TOO far away because the longer the zoom, the less depth of field one gets.

So using an depth of field (dof) calculator (e.g. this one online: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html) you can see that at 300mm f5.6 on an APC sensor DSLR if the subject is 8 metres away from the camera you get a dof of only about 15cm (that's not that much!) and so you should get an acceptable level of background blur. (as NHL has also often pointed out!)

You would get about the same short DOF from 85mm lens atf2.8 if the subject was at 3 metres away. Here is an example or two of my telezoom used as an outdoor portrait lens which is a Canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 lens.(admittedly posted on this forum before).

Paul

Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:38 AM   #8

and another example...

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:16 AM   #9

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
harana wrote:
Quote:

But as your lens has "3" in the third digit, it seems like you should be ok. I'm glad for you. Are you happy with the lens?

Paul

That's right,, as long as the 3rd digit on the serial number is 2 or above it is the new version anything in 0 or 1 is the bad lens, within a couple months i will be ordering as well.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:46 AM   #10

Having waited formonthsIbought my 70-300 IS lenslast week from David Leung in Ilford (see his advert in a recent AP). I paid £400 which includedtheET-65B hood. The third digit of the serial no. is 3 and in addition there's a blue dot on the box next to the serial no.

I've done the test described above and everything looks OK.
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote