Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:07 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Yup, your equipment is fine.

My main suggestion is to just take lots of photos and think about your results, read books and articles.

Don't delete your bad photos either, I also embarked upon the DSLR journey when my little one was just a few months old because I wasn't happy with the pictures I was getting with my P&S.

But here's the thing, although those early photos were not very good technically, I can look back on them now and I really don't care. I won't frame them or anything, but they are still precious memories.

Your photography will get better, but even though you're not happy with the results you're getting now, you will be happy enough when you look back on them in a few years.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:14 AM   #22
NHL

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
... Curious though, why is there so much talk of "better glass" and "save up for glass." Just find that a bit puzzling. Those conversations lead me to believe some lenses are better than others...
Some lens are better than others... but not in the area you're mainly concerned with which is sharpness:

1. Better construction i.e. durability: Metal(heavier) vs plastic(lighter)
2. Distortion - most noticeable with wider angle
3. Chromatic Aberration (CA) problematic with longer tele
4. Full-frame vs 'digital' only - much easier/cheaper to design a smaller good lens for 'cropped' camera than a larger full-frame!
... and some food for thought: http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secret...FrameWars.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:52 AM   #23

NHL wrote:
Quote:
leeraff wrote:
Quote:
... Curious though, why is there so much talk of "better glass" and "save up for glass." Just find that a bit puzzling. Those conversations lead me to believe some lenses are better than others...
Some lens are better than others... but not in the area you're mainly concerned with which is sharpness:

1. Better construction i.e. durability: Metal(heavier) vs plastic(lighter)
2. Distortion - most noticeable with wider angle
3. Chromatic Aberration (CA) problematic with longer tele
4. Full-frame vs 'digital' only - much easier/cheaper to design a smaller good lens for 'cropped' camera than a larger full-frame!
... and some food for thought: http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secret...FrameWars.html
I'd like to add a few:

1. Sharpness doesdiffer by the lens- especially in the long telephoto lenses. In the cheaper versions, sharpness typically degrades as you zoom out. Is the old canon 75-300 as sharp as the 300mm 2.8 prime? Especially when a lens is used wide open. So, sharpness can be different. But in general I agree - in many real life instances the practical differences are negligible.

2. Aperture value - better glass often allows better aperture values (again in the example above 2.8 vs. 5.6).

3. Focus speed and accuracy - yes the lens does contribute to these factors. Part of it is the aperture of the lens - wider aperture lets in more light for focusing and part of it is the focus motor on the lens. In the canon camp there is a difference between non-USM, micro USM and ring USM. The focus accuracy in llow light definitely contributes to sharpness.

4. Bokeh - the blade structure / design makes a difference in how the bokeh looks.

But, sharpenss is also dependent upon depth of field too. When shooting with wide apertures you can have only an inch or two of DOF which can make getting the proper focus very tricky - the subject is important here. If the camera can't detect enough contrast you're going to get a mis-focus no matter how good your lens is. So, sometimes in low light it's beneficial to use the manual focus override.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:33 PM   #24

http://digital-photography-school.co...aphing-babies/
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:07 AM   #25

Cool. Thanks a lot guys. Didn't realize we had a whole other page here. For some reason, I haven't gotten an email notification in a few weeks. Thanks for the help.

All that said, I am getting some shots I'm very proud of. Usually, they are the ones in much better lit conditions. So, agree with all about the importance of good lighting. And, yes, completely agree, even some of the lesser shots will still be great memories. I delete nothing. Hey, what's a little more space taken up on my external hard drive or a few more burned cd's and dvd's. I delete nothing.

JohnG, I will try a little work on the manual focus. Admit, new to this hobby and this incredible tool. I realize I've only tapped into 10%, probably less, much less of its capabilities and have a long way to go in shooting time and general experience.

So, I'll stick with what I've got and work to increase lighting. A reflector is probably the first answer. Momma doesn't want to add another light in the room but I may have to just bring in an additional lamp from time to time. As most of you know, the little guys can handle more light. They just can't handle that FLASH effect.

Thanks again. Just didn't want to have some "AH HA" moment, worse, a Homer Simpson "DOH" moment months down the road and miss capturing this precious time in their lives.

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote