Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1

I'm looking for a good wide angle lens for my 5D. I've looked at the Canon 17-40L, the Sigma 17-35 and the Tamron 17-35. I like my Tamorn 28-75 and would like to get the Tamron 17-35 but BH doesn't have them in stock, and they are one of the only companies that ship to APOs at a reasonable price.

I'm looking for some opinions on the Sigma and tha Canon. Due top the limited stores around here, it's hard to get a hands on test so I have to rely on others opinions.

Thanks for any input and if there are other lenses that I am missing, please let me know.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2

Not sure what to write. I have both the Canon 17-40L and the Tamron 28-75. Both are great lenses. I did a lot of work with the Canon at birthday parties. It is a little slow (f/4) but does great work when you use a tripod indoors. Sharp and quick focusing. The 28-75 with the f2.8 has become one of my favorite indoor lenses and the ability to "blur" the background makes it a great people lens. I can not vouch for the Tamron on a fullframe camera such as the 5D. It may not be as sharp since it is using more of the "glass" from the lens. (I have a 20D).

NHL, if he reads this may be able to give an opinion on the Sigmas.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:17 AM   #3

I guess I should clarify. I already have the Tamron 28-75 and I love it on my 5D. I am now looking far a wide angle lens to go with it. I guess I am just looking to see if the Sigma 2.8 on a full frame SLR will suffice or should I go with the slower 17-40L F4?

Thanks.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:02 PM   #4

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
I guess I should clarify. I already have the Tamron 28-75 and I love it on my 5D. I am now looking far a wide angle lens to go with it. I guess I am just looking to see if the Sigma 2.8 on a full frame SLR will suffice or should I go with the slower 17-40L F4?

Thanks.

Dave
Dave

I also have an intermediate lense 24x70 and have been thinking wider angle for other uses, landscape, interior close spaces etc. It seems the only answer is the 16x35 or a prime lense in the 20 or wider rangel. Frankly, most of my lense are variable and the 16x35 is probably what I will go after. The Canon offering apprears to be the best of this range with the 2.8 light advantage.

I would love to hear other opinions as well.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:46 AM   #5

Canon's 17-40 f4 is one of the most affordable "L" lenses. I used mine extensively on my 5D with very good results. Sold it to get the 16-35 2.8L which, if you can afford it, is a super lens. But the 17-40 is a good choice if your budget is more limited. Plus, with "L" lenses you've made an investment that you can more easily recover later.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:09 AM   #6

I am glad to hear that Walter, I just bought the 17-40. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:36 AM   #7

I agree with Walter....If the money is there, the 16-35mm 2.8L is the lens...I have it and its worth every penny....Awsome lens...I have been using it with the 20D so I have not really seen the true 16mm end yet...Santa has a 5D on his list, that is if I can behave for the next 2 weeks...:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:10 PM   #8

One other alternative is the Canon 17-35mm f2.8L...this is the model that the newer 16-35mm f2.8L replaced. My brother-in-law purchased one used for about the price of a new f4L, and testing it at f4, yielded sharper IQ than his former 17-40mm f4L lens. Then ofcourse, he gets the benefit of f2.8.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:18 PM   #9

i use the 12-24 and at 12mm the vignetting is pretty acceptable and the perspective is sometimes cooooool.

the details are better than using in a cropped sensor and at 24mm the lens is almost good...

but again i just carried the lens over from a 1.6cvropped sensor to enjoy it on 5d for few months.

I went with 24-105 for general purpose and have 28mm, 50mm, and a 85mm prime for any fast action shots if i need them.

The Sigma 12-24 is one heck of a lens!!

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote