Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:16 PM   #1

Default 10D action shots part 2

Well I went and got the 10D. Still am deciding on lens, so I went and got a cheep 75-300 4-5.6 lens which I got for under $200. The local shop will let me trade up if I decide to get something better. Sill do not know if a 2.8 lens is a must or not. I got the DOF I was wanting most of the time but not all of the time. I was shooting a local wakeboard competition for fun. Taken from shore and hand held. Got lots of great shots like these. Taken straight out and resized for posting.

If any one has recomendations on lens or equipment to better shot this type of action please feel free to comment.

Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2003, 6:44 AM   #2
NHL

Ken E

FYI, I did some DOF tests with my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX for fun, and also to check out the accuracy of the AF:
http://www.pbase.com/nhl/back_focus_tests
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:02 PM   #3

NHL

That DOF test of yours is very handy. How far was it from the first bottle to the box? I was trying to get a neat turtle I saw completely in focus. I couldn't do it. Looks like I should have gone out to F11 or beyond.

BTW, interesting choice of shooting targets. :lol: I'm using to seeing boring film canisters.

Ken E
When you say "I didn't get the DOF that I want" did you want more or less? Those pictures look quite good to me! Really good detail, especially in the water spray! All those fine drops look good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:18 PM   #4

Shutter speed: 1/1000.00
F-stop: 4.5
ISO speed: 200
Focal length: 205.

Shutter speed: 1/750.00
F-stop: 5.6
ISO speed: 200
Focal length: 270.0000

"I got the DOF I was wanting most of the time but not all of the time."
These are very good example of what I wanted. I have some shots where I switched shutter priority and got f6.5 or so and everything is in focus. If I kept it in apeture mode and kept it as wide as it would go then I got these results. Just seams like I am on the boundy between. I could really see where a faster lens might come in real handy as the sun starts to set.
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 1:02 AM   #5

Ken, those shots are very nice! I have the same lens, and I like it. Especially if you consider the price.

NHL, so does your 10D camera focus correctly, or does it have some front or back focus?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 6:11 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
That DOF test of yours is very handy. How far was it from the first bottle to the box? I was trying to get a neat turtle I saw completely in focus. I couldn't do it. Looks like I should have gone out to F11 or beyond.
The bottles are placed within the bottle width of one another, ie the back of one bottle lined up with the front of another (~3"). Only the 10D manual is 12" away from the last bottle since the DOF is deeper in the back than from the front!

Quote:
These are very good example of what I wanted. I have some shots where I switched shutter priority and got f6.5 or so and everything is in focus. If I kept it in apeture mode and kept it as wide as it would go then I got these results. Just seams like I am on the boundy between. I could really see where a faster lens might come in real handy as the sun starts to set.
The DOF also varies with distances @ the same focal lenght... ie it's shallower with shorter distance (my test shots) than let say at the end of the ski rope or water edge (ie try to shoot in the center of the lake!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
NHL, so does your 10D camera focus correctly, or does it have some front or back focus?
That's the $10 million question! On test shots I've got 100% accuracy; However on some other shots (with only the center AF selected)... I still try to get my handle on! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote