Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:27 PM   #1

Hi everybody
I have a canon 28-135mm USM IS lens.
my lens has image stabilization but it only works on the horizontal shakes, it acts like a normal lens without image stabilization on the vitical shakes.
my lens is out of warenty and i would some help on how to fix the lens without sending it to canon. I had it apart for a cleaning and tried to fix the image stabilization but it didn't work out very good. if anybody out there would have some good advise i would gladely do so.

My email address is [email protected]
thanks again and please reply soon

cameraA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:48 AM   #2

Hi CamerA

I have the 28-135mm USM IS lens. I don't have the problem you're describing.

You said you want some help on how to fix the lens... you mean you'll try yourself? You also wrote you had the lens apart already... I'd be very careful taking a lens apart unless you really know what you're doing. (technical knowledge wise and have the right equipment too!)

Sorry I can't help you more

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:12 PM   #3

Ya....I tried myself i had the lens apart and now its together again.
It appears to be that the IS function works only on the horizontal shakes but doesn't do anything to the virtical shakes. I think what the problem is one of the gyros don't function like they should, but i'm not sure. I found that out after I had it put together again....so i might take it apart again to see if i can fix it. If anybody has had experience then ur opinions/comments are very welcome.
And since i had the lens apart, it was long overdue for a cleaning...the zooming didn't work very well anymore ang the optics were a total mess.
so.....i think i did a good job in that and it saved me a coulple hundred bucks right there:!:
thanks for the reply
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:12 PM   #4

Ya....I tried myself i had the lens apart and now its together again.
It appears to be that the IS function works only on the horizontal shakes but doesn't do anything to the virtical shakes. I think what the problem is one of the gyros don't function like they should, but i'm not sure. I found that out after I had it put together again....so i might take it apart again to see if i can fix it. If anybody has had experience then ur opinions/comments are very welcome.
And since i had the lens apart, it was long overdue for a cleaning...the zooming didn't work very well anymore ang the optics were a total mess.
so.....i think i did a good job in that and it saved me a coulple hundred bucks right there:!:
thanks for the reply