Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:01 AM   #1

helo guys ... im back with yet another query..

I have the Canon 350D/Xt .. with 18-55mm kit lens.

i am planin to upgrade my lens ... i have a budget of 250$.

I am inclined more towards the telephoto lenses ... and especially primes.

but it seems that the only prime available is canon 135mm 2.8 ... which sells for

270$.

In case of zooms ... i was considering the tamron 55-200mm LD Di ... and using the

remainin cash to buy a canon 50mm 1.8 II ... lens.

basically want a lens that will last ... and wont need upgradation ... and would beat the

quality of the kit lens ... and of the consumer digicams ...

sr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2

I have the same camera and kit lens you have. I am also on a budget so i purchased a Canon EF 75-300 f/4.0-5.6 III from Best Buy. It seems to be good for my stuff which is just a hobby. I'm still practising with it but so far i do like it.
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3

If it is in your range the Canon 70-300IS USM has been a good lens for me. I have been able to take reasonably sharp photos at 300mm zoom down to one thirtieth of a sec.
stellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:46 PM   #4

sr2002 wrote:
Quote:
i have a budget of 250$
The Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro is the one I'd recommend you look into. For under $200 it's superb. You can add the 50 f1.8 and you're close to your budget. Enjoy the light.
LightRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5

sr2002 wrote:
Quote:
helo guys ... im back with yet another query..

I have the Canon 350D/Xt .. with 18-55mm kit lens.

i am planin to upgrade my lens ... i have a budget of 250$.

I am inclined more towards the telephoto lenses ... and especially primes.

but it seems that the only prime available is canon 135mm 2.8 ... which sells for

270$.

In case of zooms ... i was considering the tamron 55-200mm LD Di ... and using the

remainin cash to buy a canon 50mm 1.8 II ... lens.

basically want a lens that will last ... and wont need upgradation ... and would beat the

quality of the kit lens ... and of the consumer digicams ...

A lens that will last, beat the kit lens in image quality, beat consumer digicams and your budget is $250....you don't ask for much here do you!Inexpensive and goodimage quality are usually mutually exclusive. None of your options will be perfect.

There are few lenses you can buy new that will come near meeting these "specs" you list. At this price, do not eliminate buying second-hand.If I were in your position I would look on eBayfor a nice, used Canon 70-210 f3.5-4.5 EF lens. It's quite good optically and uses Canon's ring USM technology, so focus is fast and quiet. It's also fairly well built and will be an overall better lens than any of the ones that have been listed here so far. In the not too distantpast Canon made better specconsumer lenses than they offer today.

If you insist on new, the 100-300 EF lens with the USM motor will be close toas good optically as any of them as well and, again, uses the ring USM motor. Everything else being close to equal, the lenses with USM technology are worth having for the focus speed and quiet operation, neither of which the Tamron lensyou mentioned will have.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:10 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
If you insist on new, the 100-300 EF lens with the USM motor will be close toas good optically as any of them as well and, again, uses the ring USM motor. Everything else being close to equal, the lenses with USM technology are worth having for the focus speed and quiet operation, neither of which the Tamron lensyou mentioned will have.
I can also vouch for the Canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6EF USM lens. I have it and I am glad with it. When I bought it, like you I was on a restrictedbudget, but still wanted to buy something of decent quality.

You can see some recent photos of mine taken with this lens here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

I LOVE the USM (great for sports with fast / accurate focusing). Optical quality of my lens is good enough (for me), especially with a bit of post processing tweaking.

All the best, and let us know what you buy and post some photos!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote