Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:57 AM   #1

Canon EF 28-90mm f4-5.6 AF II Lens................What would you basically use this lens for??

Any help Please!!

Cheers!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:19 AM   #2
Administrator

To take pictures. ;-)

On an entry level Canon DSLR, it would give you the same angle of view (apparent magnification) that you'd have using a 45-144mm lens on a 35mm camera (since you need to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6x when used on most of the entry level and advanced amateur DSLR models from Canon to see how the angle of view compares to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera).

This is an entry level (consumer grade) lens, and it's relatively slow (dim), with a maximum available aperture of only f/5.6 on it's long end. So, it would be best used in better light outdoors, or with a flash indoors. On the plus side, it's relatively small and light with good focal range for a single lens (a higher quality and brighter lens would be larger and heavier, so there are always tradeoffs).

You may find that it's 28mm (44.8mm equivalent) starting point may not be quite as wide as you'd like in some conditions though. That's why many of the lenses designed for DSLR models with smaller APS-C size sensors start out at around 17 or 18mm (because a lens on an entry level Canon DSLR will appear to be 60% longer compared to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 1:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I have one of those attached to my EOS 50E film camera.

If I sold my film camera I would use the lens for a paperweight.

I have tried it with my 20D and the standard 18-55 kit lens was much better, the 17-85 is in a different class altogether.

As JimC has said, it doesn't cover a very useful focal length range on a crop camera either.

On a 1.6 crop camera you would be much better off with something made for digital, and on a 1.3 or 1.0 crop DSLR you should really be using an L lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:53 PM   #4

Iv'e just bought a Sigma 28-80mm and a Canon 35-80mm f4 off of a friend for a really cheap price can you tell me about these lenses and are they any good??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote