Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:31 PM   #1

Greetings from snowy Vancouver Island, Canada

I am buying the Rebel XTi. This will most likely be my last camera. As my budget has a ceiling I am looking at buying the body only and upgrading to a 18-70 for a basic lense. Image Stabilisation is not a necessity as it is quite expensive but is it a good idea with this basic alense?Later on I will also be looking for a telephoto style. Please help...any criticisms and suggestions would be appreciated. :G

Thanks Tass
Tasstass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:50 AM   #2

I've just ordered the Sigma 17-70 lens for my XTI after countless hours of reading reviews and message boards. I wanted to stay under $400 and concluded that was my best bet. I wanted to get the 24-70L but couldn't get my wife to sign off on the $1000+ lens. :lol:
adhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

I too went for the Sigma 17-70 to go with my 400D body and couldn't be happier.
It's a great wide / short tele lens that fills a wide range of needs.
At first it seemed front heavy on the 400D body as the grip is so small on the camera. I added a battery grip and it made a huge difference in the handling and balance of the camera and lens.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:27 PM   #4

I picked up the Canon 28-135 IS. A great lens for the money.
I also have to 75-300 IS also a great lens.
My suggestion is go for the extra money, you won't be disappointed
in the long run. I have the 20D and they both work well.
Good luck.
4Whale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:17 AM   #5

Thanks so much for the feedbacks. I will be back here after Christmas...hopefully with comments on how much I like the Canon XTi. Have a great season to you all.
Tassstass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:12 PM   #6

I picked up a Tamron 17-50 F2.8. It is very sharp.

What do you plan to shoot? I heard there is lots of snow in B.C. now.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:01 AM   #7

Hi!

if you are on budget, I think, that good walkabout lens is EF 24-85/3.5-4.5. For the wide angle maybe common EF 18-55, very unexpensive when you buy as kit lens. After that as good tele (in the range 100-200) will be EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM. That all lens aren't expensive. Greetings!
jajurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:40 AM   #8
jmc

I've been going through the same pain the last couple of weeks. Today, I finally ordered the camera, with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] SP AF Zoom (I had to cut-and-paste that!). That'll be my walkaround lens. It cost me around US$400.00.

I like the Canon 28-135 as well, but it's longer/heavier, and I'm a small (and thus small-handed) person - choice of the XTi was weighted heavily on size (please forgive the pun) - otherwise I'd have gotten the Nikon D80, as I've owned a number of Nikons and like them a lot.

I'm still considering the 28-135 (I'll need the IS for the zoom photos), as well as the 10-22 ultra-wide, and perhaps, when the budget recovers from this purchase, a Sigma 100-300... But I want to play first, and see what I really need.

Good luck, and hope you're enjoying your new camera! Can't wait for mine to arrive!

(oh, and if you're curious, I do photography only as a hobby, but also have a hobby website, at photosbyjodi.net. Photos from my new camera should be up there in a month or so
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:55 AM   #9

jmc wrote:
Quote:
I like the Canon 28-135 as well, but it's longer/heavier, and I'm a small (and thus small-handed) person - choice of the XTi was weighted heavily on size (please forgive the pun) - otherwise I'd have gotten the Nikon D80, as I've owned a number of Nikons and like them a lot.
you could have gotten a D40, which is a damn good camera for themoney, and it is SMALL too.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:04 PM   #10

I did a ton of reading, and had a hard time deciding on a lens.

I ended up with the Canon EF 24-105 L series, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I LOVE this Camera lens combo!
MikeVagg is offline   Reply With Quote