Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:37 PM   #1

I was just wondering if anybody knows whether or not the Tamron 28-80mm lens (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004ZD2Y/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added/104-3451950-7511967) is any better in terms of optical quality (sharpness, mainly) than the kit 18-55mm lens for the Rebel XT.

Thanks
zebulonA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:00 PM   #2

Depends on what you plan to shoot with it? You may find 28mm not wide enough on a Rebel XT with a 1.6 crop factor.

By the way, your link is to a Nikon version of that lens on amazon.com.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3

Oh, hah, thanks for letting me know.

But anyway, I guess it might not be wide enough, like you said. I'm just trying to find a basic zoom lens that is somewhat better than the kit lens... for under 100 dollars, if at all possible. I understand if it isn't though. Do you have any suggestions? (Getting a used one on eBay is OK with me, FYI)

Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You will not find a better lens than the kit lens for that kind of money.

I would be very surprised if the Tamron you mention was anywhere near as sharp, I can't find any MTF charts for it over at photozone.

Though the build quality seems somewhat higher, from the reviews on the Amazon page.

Remember that the old 28-80 or 28-90 cheap zooms were made for film, they are generally much less sharp than the newer digital-only lenses with the smaller image circle.

By all means get a better lens if you have the money, (Sigma, Tamron and Canon all make much higher quality lenses) but the kit lens is perfectly respectable and very good value for money.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:16 PM   #5

OK. Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to save up until I can get enough money for a decent lens.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:53 AM   #6

I recently bought a budget Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 for about $300 on sale and i have nothing but great things to say about it in terms of price, good photos, and a nice wide aperture.

Yesterday afternoon I was down by Seal Beach and the marine patrol gave me permission to drive out onto the beach in my 6 day old 2007 Audi A4 in the custom sprint blue pearl effect paint (first A4 in north America with this color). They also laughed and asked when they should call the tow truck. I guess they didn't know what Quattro AWD is.

Here is one of my favorites. I did a little adjustment in color balance, unsharp mask, hue, and levels and it turned out pretty good for being a hand held photograph,. Then on the way out I did a couple 180' slide turns in the soft sand just to show up the marine patrol guys.

For reference, here is one of the originals with zero editing:

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:36 AM   #7

I have the tamtron 28-80 and it's a very good lens.

However, for a general walk around lens you might consider a lens that has 17mm at the wide end.

The Canon 17-85 image stabilized lens is quite popular, although the maximum aperture of F4 is a little off-putting.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote