Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:52 AM   #1

I'm so excited....I just ordered a used 70-200 EX APO NonDG for $465 on KEH. Clean but missing a tripod mount, which I don't need. I do like the 14 day return policy there, though.

I have a senior picture shoot this weekend and looking forward to testing it out. (and posting results)

Merry Christmas to ME!!!

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:24 PM   #2

you may find that you do need that tripod mount, but can probably find one on e-bay or somewhere. I use mine all the time, especially if you are zoomed to that 200mm focal length, it is much more stable than just mounting the camera on the tripod. That is a very good price though.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:14 PM   #3

Is this Sigma f2.8 lens?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:31 PM   #4

Yep - it's 2.8 (sigma doesn't make an f4 version).

Congratulations - I know you've been looking forward to that lens. That is a great price for it, so make sure you do a thorough check-out and make sure the focus motor and elements are functioning properly.

Enjoy!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:45 AM   #5

thanks John! Yeah, I will be flooring it upon receipt to make sure nothing seems wrong (or about to go wrong). I'm crossing fingers. I shoot candid so much I haven't used my tripod in months. I'm much more likely to go ISO 1600 than limit myself to a tripod. But then again, I haven't shot 200mm that often. I guess this will be a good test to see if I really should invest later in the Canon 70-200 2.8 with IS.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:04 PM   #6

Just got it, the glass looks clean, which is a good sign!

I do not see any macro switch or wording on this lens...does it mean it does not have macro? Was there ever a non-macro version of this lens? (johnG, I betyou know the answer!)

thanks

lynne
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:14 PM   #7

There were 3 different versions:

EX

EX DG

EX DG Macro

I have the EX version before they added the super secret DG coating that justified them upping the price by $80

Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:28 PM   #8

ah so the macro was added after the DG. So i have a non DG, non macro, non tripod collar version....i'm cool w/ it! At least till the testing round begins!

thx john
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:36 AM   #9

I'm having trouble getting anything in focus wide open. I'm using the center point AF, and more than sufficient shutter speeds,and stillIget this "haze" around everything, like I have an extreme diffusion filter on....or it seems to be front focusing. This diminishes when I stop down to 5.0 but doesn't seem really sharp until 8.0.

I don't know if its the lens, or operator error due to my limited experience with wide apertures at long focal lengths?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:41 AM   #10

Are you having the problem with stationary subjects? How far away were the subjects

If so, please post an example (uncropped and unedited please). The lens should be reasonably sharp wide open as long as your subjects are within acceptable focus distances (i.e. not shooting something from 80 yards away).